Junos OS

last person joined: 6 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  question of commit command

Posted 04-24-2014 08:53

Hi,

While using junos OS in  common criteria environment,commit command  introduced before  Junos OS Release 7.4.

I'm very doubt  why introduce this function ,which seems like unnecessary.  When do comparsion with immediate effect mode,both can check the CLI syntax error,configuration misstep.

So anyone can give me the purpose of introduce this commit command?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: question of commit command

Posted 04-24-2014 09:07

Jackie - not sure what exactly are you asking? Are you questioning why Juniper uses the commit command instead of simply writing each configuration change to the device on the fly as it is entered?

If so there are lots of good reasons other than simply syntax checking. IE - you may be making multiple changes with dependencies. You may want to make changes and have them take effect later on, so you would schedule a commit. 

I could go on but what exactly are you questioning?

• 3.  RE: question of commit command

Posted 04-24-2014 19:23

Hi  Barker

"Are you questioning why Juniper uses the commit command instead of simply writing each configuration change to the device on the fly as it is entered?" ----Yes,as u said.Can u give me more explanation?

• 4.  RE: question of commit command

Posted 04-24-2014 19:55

The commit command is like one of the best features of JunOS!

show | compare

commit confirmed 5

rollback 0

All very useful features.

• 5.  RE: question of commit command
    Best Answer

Posted 04-25-2014 06:55

Jackie - the commit command is (to me and most everyone who uses Junos) one of the "great" features of all time. 

1. You have complete control as to when the changes you make will be actived. Instead of line at a time you queue your changes up and activate them when you are ready. 

2. You can pre-stage configurations and then schedule (commit @ date / time.

3. It allows you to revert to a prior version of a configuration with a single command (up to fifty previous).

4. It provides an automatic "undo" capability through "commit confirmed" that is essential when configuring remote sites and dealing with things like ACL's or firewall rules.