Junos OS

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  root authentication / user

Posted 06-04-2015 08:04

Hi,

1. In factory new router, when i configured any thing and entered commit command it doesn't accept that command because root authentication is not configured. but when i configured set root authentication encrypted ...xxx command. it allowed 'commit' command. but after logout and when i login again this root username & configured password is not accepted. why?

is anything else need to configure??

2. when i configured another user with super-class n password , it was also not allowed.

3. Let me know how to reset password in emergency.. because for safer side i used commit confirmed command so i didn't stuck..

S@ndy.

• 2.  RE: root authentication / user
    Best Answer

Posted 06-04-2015 08:20

When are you using the "set root-authentication encrypted-password", are you using the encrypted form?

If you want to type the password, you should use "set root-authentication plain-text-password"

More here about the root password:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.3/topics/task/configuration/root-password.html

To recover, use this link:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.3/topics/task/configuration/authentication-root-password-recovering.html

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 3.  RE: root authentication / user

Posted 06-04-2015 23:39

Hi

Parau

Thanks...it worked when i used plain-text-password option... so i could go atleast one step ahead...

but then what is difference between encrypted-password & plain-text-password ??

and also u mentioned to set encrypted-password need to use encrpted form?? what is that, hw to use it.

please let me know in detail...

if i do google to search queries of juniper i don't find solution easily like cisco..

is there cheatcode or some tric to find out good docs for juniper study...plzz

S@ndy..

• 4.  RE: root authentication / user

Posted 06-04-2015 23:49

The encrypted-password expects you to put a string that starts with $1$. It is the crypted form of plain-text form.

For instance, I configured the root password by using plain-text and in the config shows like this:

set system root-authentication encrypted-password "$1$tXuEGVir$3t27CvzLoOT5z091bKGX.1"

If you know the password, you can set the encrypted form of it and assign it to another user. Then you will be able to use that password as if you would have set it using plain-text form.

To get a start with Juniper study you can use Fast Track. You have the documentation necessary to pass JNCIS-ENT/SP/SEC.

https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_fasttrack_home.aspx

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 5.  RE: root authentication / user

Posted 06-06-2015 12:36

Hi,

Can you please share me good documents for STP, VLAN, ETHERCHANNEl on Junos OS.... Please