Management
Visitor
scole

Cannot import devices to NSM 2011.4s1

I am having an issue importing SRX210 devices into NSM.  I was previously running 2011.1 and was importing NSM 10.4R4.5 devices. I keep getting the error:

"We are unable to parse a useable OS version from this device"

I updated the schema to the 226 version. That did not help either. I also have SRX210 at the 11.1R3,5 version and its the same thing,. I then decided to upgrade the NSM to the 2011.4s1 version and updated the schema to the 228. I am still getting the error.

There are few devices existing on the NSM before it was handed over to me and those are being managed but i cannot import anything else. I also want to upgrade the OS on the existing ones but I am afraid to so.

I am new to NSM and Juniper, so ANY IDEA or suggestion would be appreciated. PLEASE.

Thank you.

Recognized Expert
ronf

Re: Cannot import devices to NSM 2011.4s1

I would double check the "host-inbound-traffic" settings for the interface that the NSM appliance is hitting the firewall on.  I suspect the issue is a communications one, not a version match issue as those versions should be supported in the current schema.  I would also make sure that your schema is actually the current running one, as the upgrade process is a little clunky and requires two steps (the download and then the activation).

Ron

JNCIE-SEC #127
JNCIE-ENT #489
Trusted Contributor
SomeITGuy

Check the NSM manual for JUNOS devices... you need to enable SSH 2 and the managment service before you can import the device.

Trusted Contributor
SomeITGuy

How to prepare Junos device for NSM connectivity

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB16246

Trusted Contributor
markpr

[ Edited ]

We managed to reproduce this problem. It seems another variation on the symptoms seen when the client has not successfully downloaded the schema from the NSM server.

We resolved it by setting the NSM client to always "run as administrator". This must still be done on Windows platforms with UAC enabled. The simplest way to verify for you is to uninstall the NSM client and reinstall but check the "run as administrator" before connecting to your NSM server the first time.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.