Security

last person joined: 8 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with Juniper Connected Security. Discuss Advanced Threat Protection, SecIntel, Secure Analytics, Secure Connect, Security Director, and all things related to Juniper security technologies.
  • 1.  Connection to Management Server Lost

Posted 11-12-2008 06:20

Hello,

I've just installed NSM2007 and have successfully connected an IDP-75, I've been looking through the logs to familiarize myself with the capabilities, but while researching I get the "Connection to Management Server Lost" message, is there a timeout value that I need to increase ?

Thanks, as you can see I'm very new to this product.

• 2.  RE: Connection to Management Server Lost

Posted 11-12-2008 06:25

Hi Situs,

you mean your gui client connection timed out closing the client down ?

If so go to Tools --> preferences

From there go into system properties then Performance options.

There you can change the timeout before getting disconnected or disable it all together.

Kind regards

Colin

• 3.  RE: Connection to Management Server Lost

Posted 11-12-2008 06:39
    Yes it was when in the client side, I looked at the settings and the value was set to 45 minutes. I was disconnected shortly after I navigated to this option screen with the same error message, I must have something else wrong ?

• 4.  RE: Connection to Management Server Lost

Posted 11-12-2008 06:58

Hi Situs,

is there something inbetween the nsm server and the client that could be interfering with the connection ?

You need port 7801 open to the nsm server as this is used for SSP comms between the client and guiSvrManager process.

Kind regards

Colin

• 5.  RE: Connection to Management Server Lost

Posted 11-12-2008 08:30

Hi Colin,

There is a PIX, but 7801 is enabled on that device, what's strange is that the UI loaded on the server does the same thing, not just the UI I've loaded on my Windows workstation.

• 6.  RE: Connection to Management Server Lost

Posted 11-13-2008 02:09

I've never tried the ui on the server also.

Is it possible to try a connection from a device on the same lan segment, i.e. without f/w etc between them just to verify that its not a network device that is causing the problem.

Kind regards

Colin

• 7.  RE: Connection to Management Server Lost
    Best Answer

Posted 11-13-2008 06:56

Hello Colin,

I found a solution on another forum, which suguested I look at ;

/usr/netscreen/GuiSvr/lib/webproxy/conf/server.xml

to check if the IP of the Management server was correct, it wasn't and I changed it, which resolved my problem.

thanks again for your help

• 8.  RE: Connection to Management Server Lost

Posted 11-13-2008 07:00

Hi Situs,

this would affect the webproxy service, not the guiSvrManager process which you require to connect to the guiSvr using the client installed on your management workstation.

I could see (especially in a HA environment) that this service failing could bring down the entire GuiServer (which would cause you to lose your connection) and if you have recover from a failure enabled , restart it again.

Anyway, glad its up and running for you.

Kind regards

Colin

• 9.  RE: Connection to Management Server Lost

Posted 10-26-2009 10:42

Wow, this worked for me!

I used the KB article on changing an IP of a server...

and obviously it's meant for a new out of the box default, whereas my server was already upgraded,

but the article (probably correctly?) did not mention this server.xml file for the webproxy

and once I made this change, editting that file to change old IP to new IP, restarted everything, works great.

Definitely, if you have this problem, check that file.