Security

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with Juniper Connected Security. Discuss Advanced Threat Protection, SecIntel, Secure Analytics, Secure Connect, Security Director, and all things related to Juniper security technologies.
  • 1.  Device list empty after recent Schema update

Posted 01-08-2010 18:55

Re recently updated our NSMExpress to 2009.1r1 and everything seemed fine, then today we did schema updates... Now after my GUI client connects my device list remains empty..

My policies display but in the device field there is gibberish where the device name should be..

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Device list empty after recent Schema update

Posted 01-08-2010 21:24

Hi SomeITGuy...

I also am in the same boat..  ran the schema update today (Jan 8th).  Now there are no devices showing.  

I will be opening a JTAC ticket on this item on Monday. 

• 3.  RE: Device list empty after recent Schema update

Posted 01-09-2010 07:31

If your GUI client is running Vista, it could be that UAC is perventing the schema update from being downloaded to the client. That results in not being able to see any devices, or random errors if you do see them. There is a KB article with a workaround.

That said, we have also seen a problem with the latest schema update that caused exactly this problem on XP clients as well, all devices disappearing, so we had to remove it again. It seems the latest update isn't very reliable Smiley Sad

• 4.  RE: Device list empty after recent Schema update

Posted 01-10-2010 15:26

Hi motd,

Was (Is?) the solution to roll back the schema update to an earlier version?  

• 5.  RE: Device list empty after recent Schema update

Posted 01-13-2010 09:11

Same issue, furthermore no device could be added...Smiley Sad

• 6.  RE: Device list empty after recent Schema update

Posted 01-18-2010 13:55

I have just had the same issue on NSM2009.1R1, upgrade from DMI schema 103 to 114 and I lost visibility of all the devices.

I can't believe that Juniper has not solved the issue yet, 114 has been released on 12/18 that is 1 month ago !!!

I followed KB13555 to revert the change and I now have DMI schema 87 !!! I tried to install the DMI schema 113 (NSM-schema-previous.tar.gz) but I lost connectivity with the server before being able to do it.

How come 113 is 250MB whereas 114 is 320MB ?

• 7.  RE: Device list empty after recent Schema update

Posted 01-19-2010 22:08

The Schema 114 was released to include support for JunOS 10.0R1

The Schema 103 had support only until 9.6R2

• 8.  RE: Device list empty after recent Schema update

Posted 01-20-2010 00:01

Yes but 103 was the one I was running before the upgrade.

I reverted to 87 using KB13555.

I then tried to upgrade to schema 103, 110 and 114 and the Device list is empty after each upgrade. I really don't understand what is going one. 103 was fine but now when I apply it I get the same error than with 114

Edit : All the management stations are running on XP SP2 and the NSM server is a RedHat

• 9.  RE: Device list empty after recent Schema update
    Best Answer

Posted 01-20-2010 08:35

I got it working in the end by doing hte following.

1- Revert to schema 87 as per KB13555

2- update NSM2009.1 to NSM2009.1a11 (default schema is 99)

3- update the schema to 103

4- update the schema to 110 (previous)

5- update the schema to 114 (latest)

• 10.  RE: Device list empty after recent Schema update

Posted 01-25-2010 11:01

Thanks yemgi, that worked for us.. after updating to 1a11, we loaded 110 then 114 and all our devices are still there. We have rebooted and things are still working.. will have to wait a day or so to know for sure.

• 11.  RE: Device list empty after recent Schema update

Posted 02-01-2010 13:10

A new schema update was released today that includes support for JunOS 10.0r2.

There is another method that we have found reliable: The problem seems to be UAC and Schema Updates and the problem is present from NSM 2008 through NSM 2009 on Windows Vista and 7 (32 and 64).

The problem is sometimes intermittent and occurs after a fresh installation of the NSM client or after a schema update. It can show itself as missing devices in the device tree or strange problems in a delta configuration. If the problem has already occurred then any old schemas installed on the Windows Client must be deleted as covered in this KB article http://kb.juniper.net/KB14064. Alternatively uninstall the client, reinstall and then follow the step below before starting for the first time.

To avoid the problem altogether then either turn off UAC or always run the NSM client with administrator privileges. This can be set under the applications compatability tab "always run as administrator". This will not fix the problem if it has already occurred, you must first follow the steps above first.