Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences with Juniper Connected Security. Discuss Advanced Threat Protection, SecIntel, Secure Analytics, Secure Connect, Security Director, and all things related to Juniper security technologies.
  • 1.  NSM 2011.1 client does not work properly on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

Posted 08-05-2011 10:24
      |   view attached

HI,

I have a problem, at work we just got upgraded to Wndows 7 x64 Ent version, I installed NMS client on it, I have UAC disbaled and I did the coorect memoery settings under NSM.lax form http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB18111&smlogin=true

The client opens up, I login and I can see the devices under Device Tree, if I click on VPn's, etc it seems to work but as soon as I click on the tab "Device List" it seems like the who programs get soooo slow and I dont see anthing there, if I click on there some stuff appears... what could be the problem?

Is NSM not compatiple with Win7 x64?

btw, this is a clean install of the client...

• 2.  RE: NSM 2011.1 client does not work properly on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise
    Best Answer

Posted 08-06-2011 02:23

This is one of the many known issues of NSM, and despite the fact this issue has been around ever since they released 2011.1 a couple of months ago, it still isn't fixed and they still don't tell you about it or warn you about it when you install. They let you run into the problem and wait until you open a JTAC case. Great stuff, right?

There are a few workarounds that you can try. What usually happens when you see this is the NSM GUI client wasn't able to download the complete schema from the DevSvr. 

Firt try this: On Windows in your user folder you will find a folder called ".nsm". Delete that complete folder, just trash it. Then open the NSM GUI client again, making sure you open it with Administrator rights (right-click on NSM and so "open ad admin" or something like that). If you are lucky, the client will try to re-download the schema from NSM server, and most of the time I've seen this issue this helps.

If not, you need to manually copy the schema form the Server to the Client. There is a KB article on how to do this. I don't have it here right now, if you don't find it, open a JTAC case.

Hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: NSM 2011.1 client does not work properly on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

Posted 08-06-2011 17:54

Wow! thanks for the tip... it was driving me nuts.. why not just to place a KB about it and write a patch for the client itself? bummer.. thanks for the suggestion, I will try that next if not maybe copying the schema to my pc (not clue how yet)... I will get back and report back results..

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: NSM 2011.1 client does not work properly on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

Posted 08-06-2011 18:18

THANK YOU!!!!

This solved the problem!!

I looked inside my PC and in the .nsm folder and I found the schema file was for only 4mb but the actual schema file from the server was 122mb.. it seems like it never download the whole file so I did copy the file manually to the correct location in my pc and then re-opened the nsm client.. and it worked!!! Thank you!!

BTW, by your suggestion I found the KB regarding where the schema was in the NSM server.. Just for future reference this is a link to the KB:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB14064&cat=NSM&actp=LIST&smlogin=true

just in case someone else needs it..

Thanks again!

• 5.  RE: NSM 2011.1 client does not work properly on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

Posted 08-07-2011 11:29

@am wrote:

THANK YOU!!!!

This solved the problem!!

BTW, by your suggestion I found the KB regarding where the schema was in the NSM server.. Just for future reference this is a link to the KB:

http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB14064&cat=NSM&actp=LIST&smlogin=true

just in case someone else needs it..

Thanks again!

You are very welcome, glad I could help. And thanks for posting that link.