Management
Visitor
johnm

NSM Xpress Device Limits

The NSM Xpress documentation and literature all indicate that there is a limit to the number of supported devices. In this case, we are looking at an installation with a lot of the new EX switches, which are limited to 150. Once completed, this project will include over 300 switches.

Is this a hard limit in NSM Xpress or simply a recommendation? Do these limits apply to the software version of NSM as well?

Super Contributor
billp

Re: NSM Xpress Device Limits

The posted limits for NSMXpress are based on typical config sizes and events per second. Depending on your switch configs you may be able to exceed the recommended number of devices, but you may also experience performance degradation if you do so. Doubling the number of recommended devices is not likely to yield a result that makes you smile.

The software version does not have the same limitations, but remember that the performance will depend on the hardware that you give it. 

Recognized Expert Recognized Expert
Recognized Expert
CB

Hi John,

If you have a look at the appendix of the install guide pdf ( i checked the 2008.1 install guide)

you'll find a subheading Hardware recommendations which has detailed guidelines on hardware sizing for the deployment required.

There are several factors to take into account.

Kind regards

Colin

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit.
Visitor
blacknight

I have been working with NSM since it was Global Express.  This is one of those situations where I would suggest you consider working closely not only with JTAC but perhaps your local Juniper SE.  The sizing can be dependent on lots of things such as number of network objects, number of VPN's (which may not apply in this instance) etc. so you must plan carefully.  Also remember that even though you are in an appliance you can still get a second one and breakup the Dev and GUI server compenents.

The gentleman who referred to the software version was also correct in that it can scale much farther than the appliance as it can handle more processors and memory but requires substantial hardware. 

While the switches haven't been out long enough for me to have too much experience with them on NSM yet, I would guess that if you are JUST managing 300 switches you should be ok.  Good Luck and...

Stay Secure!

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.