Security

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with Juniper Connected Security. Discuss Advanced Threat Protection, SecIntel, Secure Analytics, Secure Connect, Security Director, and all things related to Juniper security technologies.
  • 1.  NSM2010.2 schema137 Linux client hangs

Posted 07-01-2010 00:05

After upgrading the NSM to version 2010.2 the Linux client (running Ubuntu) works fine. But after updating to schema version 137 the Linux client hangs (last message = Loading Resources). Already deleted the .NSM folder and re-installed the client but that doesn't solve the problem. The Windows client works fine.

Does anybody has an idea for solving this problem?

• 2.  RE: NSM2010.2 schema137 Linux client hangs

Posted 07-01-2010 13:22

You installed the Schema update on the NSM server  , make sure to   install schema on the client as well

• 3.  RE: NSM2010.2 schema137 Linux client hangs

Posted 07-02-2010 05:12

Hi SSHSSH,

Thanks for the response.

As I thought the schema update is automatically performed when the client connects to the updated NSM. It's also what I see when I  try to connect, but after that is hangs.

How do you install a schema update manually on a client?

• 4.  RE: NSM2010.2 schema137 Linux client hangs

Posted 07-03-2010 02:46
    You can  check the below KB  to check if your client has the correct schema  & to fix if it doesnot have
    NSM client hangs after DMI schema is updated.
    Knowledge Base ID:KB14064
    Version:1.0
    Published:30 Apr 2009
    Categories:NSM
    NSMXpress

Summary:

After the NSM DMI schema update, the NSM Windows client seems to hang while loading.

Problem or Goal:

NSM client hangs after DMI schema is updated.

Solution:

If the NSM Windows client hangs when loading after a DMI schema update it could be a problem with the client retrieving the information from the NSM server. To resolve this:

First, navigate to the /tmp directory on the NSM Server. There should be a Schemas-GDH directory with a version number folder that matches the recent schema version upgrade. If the server doesn't have this directory, you cannot perform this fix.
    1. On the Windows PC, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\Schemas-NSM
    2. This folder will have a numbered folder for any previous DMI schema versions. If you have not updated the DMI schema before, only a folder named “null” will be present.
      • If the version you just upgraded to has a folder, create a backup of that folder. No backup is needed if there is not a folder for the DMI schema version.
    3. If there was an existing schema version folder, clear it out. If there was not an existing folder, create one with the correct version number.
    4. Go to /tmp/Schemas-GDH/<schema version number> on the NSM server. Copy all of the binary files in this directory and paste them to the directory on Windows with the corresponding schema version number.
    5. Restart the NSM gui client.

Purpose:

Troubleshooting

• 5.  RE: NSM2010.2 schema137 Linux client hangs

Posted 07-13-2010 05:41

Hi SSHSSH,

The solution you describe is for the Windows client. Our windows client works fine, we only have problems with our Linux client. I've tried it under Ubuntu and Fedora but both hangs.

Do you, or somebody else, has an idea how we can investigate this problem on the NSM?

• 6.  RE: NSM2010.2 schema137 Linux client hangs

Posted 07-16-2010 11:46

Well, my Co-worker and I were able to get the NSM client to load on Schema Version 139 with NSM2010.2.  We logged into the nsm server and copied  the following file /var/netscreen/Guisvr/Schemas-GDH/139/nsm.schema.bin to the client PC. 

On the client PC we deleted the current nsm.schema.bin located ~/Network\ and\ Security\ Manager/schema-binary/. We then moved the nsm.schema.bin from the NSM server into ~/Network\ and\ Security\ Manager/schema-binary/ directory.

We re-started the NSM server and it worked. Though it did take a while to load data.

• 7.  RE: NSM2010.2 schema137 Linux client hangs
    Best Answer

Posted 07-19-2010 06:03

Hi Jayman,

Thanks a lot. This solves our problem.

• 8.  RE: NSM2010.2 schema137 Linux client hangs

Posted 08-27-2010 06:56

It says in the technote 'First, navigate to the /tmp directory on the NSM Server. There should be a Schemas-GDH directory with a version number folder that matches the recent schema version upgrade. If the server doesn't have this directory, you cannot perform this fix'

On my server that folder didn't exist in tmp/, but it did exist in /var/netscreen/GuiSvr/Schemas-GDH/

So I copied to my Windows PC from there and that also worked.