Management
Contributor
Big_Vi

New NSM3000 hardware

Hi all,

Due to some (lots) performance problems we plan to buy the new NSM3000 hardware but I've some question without answer :

1. Can I do a cluster with one NSM3000 (master) and one NSMxpress (backup)?

2. Can anyone give me more precision about a release date for nsm2009.1r2? (I already know the patched version https://www.juniper.net/alerts/viewalert.jsp?actionBtn=Search&txtAlertNumber=PSN-2009-10-570&viewMod... )

3. If I replace only one box, is there something special to do or a known procedure to resync my cluster with the new box?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Vince

Visitor
StephenHarte

Re: New NSM3000 hardware

What appliance do you currently have?  We are having lots of issues as well and were advised by Juniper JTAC to upgrade!!

Stephen

Contributor
Big_Vi

Sorry for the late answer,

We actually own two NSMxpress that mange around 38 Firewall.

Our main problem is that the application is really slow when we manage rules and objects (around 30 sec to add a new object...)

The NSM UI is installed on a jumphost with 32 GB ram and 2x quad core Xeon, thus I don't think that the problem come from the client hardware ;-)

Recognized Expert Recognized Expert
Recognized Expert
CB

Hi Vince,

some answers inline

1. Can I do a cluster with one NSM3000 (master) and one NSMxpress (backup)?

not in a juniper supported way, like any other cluster, one should cluster like devices. From a feasability perspective, i think you will run into issues with licensing, i.e. you won't be able to get a HA license for a nsm3000 nsmXpress combination.

2. Can anyone give me more precision about a release date for nsm2009.1r2? (I already know the patched version https://www.juniper.net/alerts/viewalert.jsp?actionBtn=Search&txtAlertNumber=PSN-2009-10-570&viewMod... )

- rough guideline would be mid to end q1 2009.

3. If I replace only one box, is there something special to do or a known procedure to resync my cluster with the new box?

This procedure would be the same as with RMA'ing a unit, RSA key exchange, readd the new licenses, ensure the other unit is master prior to adding and permit the syncrhonisation to complete, however as per Q1 there should not be a mix.

In your case , migrating the DB from nsmXpress to nsm3000 would involve taking the most recent backup, scp'ing it to the new unit and use script restoreDbFromBackup.sh located in  /usr/netscreen/HaSvr/utils/

Hope that helps

Kind regards

CB

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit.
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.