Security

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with Juniper Connected Security. Discuss Advanced Threat Protection, SecIntel, Secure Analytics, Secure Connect, Security Director, and all things related to Juniper security technologies.
  • 1.  SNMP Traps and System Alarms

Posted 03-02-2016 08:56

I have setup SNMP Traps on my EX4200 switches running JunOS 12.3, and I can successfully receive spoof traps that I generate.  One of my switches just had an actual warm temperature event occur, which caused an amber system alarm and the following log messages:

Mar 2 11:04:41 pok-052-vc2 alarmd[1329]: Alarm set: FPC color=YELLOW, class=CHASSIS, reason=FPC 3 EX-PFE2 Temp Too Warm
    Mar 2 11:04:41 pok-052-vc2 craftd[1330]: Minor alarm set, FPC 3 EX-PFE2 Temp Too Warm
    Mar 2 11:07:29 pok-052-vc2 craftd[1330]: Minor alarm cleared, FPC 3 EX-PFE2 Temp Too Warm
    Mar 2 11:07:29 pok-052-vc2 alarmd[1329]: Alarm cleared: FPC color=YELLOW, class=CHASSIS, reason=FPC 3 EX-PFE2 Temp Too Warm

I did not receive any SNMP Traps for these events.  Is this expected?   Shouldn't any system alarm that lights the front panel LED cause an SNMP Trap?

I see that there is an SNMP Trap named jnxOverTemperature; why wouldn't that be generated for this event?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: SNMP Traps and System Alarms

Posted 03-06-2016 04:57

I believe you need to configure an enterprise trap group and add the chassis category for the temp alarms.  Along with anything else you want to forward.

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos14.1/topics/task/configuration/snmp-trap-groups-configuring-junos-nm.html

• 3.  RE: SNMP Traps and System Alarms

Posted 03-17-2016 04:50

Juniper support confirmed that some alarms do not cause SNMP traps.  They told me that I could generate traps for syslog events by using the event-options and raise-trap statements.  However, I have not been able to identifyan event that cooresponds to the LED alarm being lit nor a minor temperature situation.

Has anyone used event-options to generate these types of traps?

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: SNMP Traps and System Alarms
    Best Answer

Posted 03-18-2016 07:05

I found a document that describes what I was attempting to accomplish:

https://jncie.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/7100110-en.pdf

Using it, I was able to generate the following configuration that will send SNMP traps for syslog alarm messages:

event-options {
       policy alarms {
         events SYSTEM;
         attributes-match {
           system.message matches "alarm set";
         }
         then {
           raise-trap;
        }
      }
    }