Security

last person joined: 8 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences with Juniper Connected Security. Discuss Advanced Threat Protection, SecIntel, Secure Analytics, Secure Connect, Security Director, and all things related to Juniper security technologies.
  • 1.  SNMP for Juniper/JUNOS Virtual-Chassis systems?

Posted 12-16-2015 06:23

Is this the most appropriate forum to engage in discussion and ask questions about Juniper's support for SNMP management of Juniper EX switches operating in virtual-chassis mode?

-John

• 2.  RE: SNMP for Juniper/JUNOS Virtual-Chassis systems?

Posted 12-16-2015 08:21

Ok, well, I'll try and get some more interest going here by saying exactly what I know I need and want.  So far.

We need working SNMP OID's for traffic, error and status of vcp interfaces.  We also need an OID that conains the status of each vc member - up, down, missing, etc.

WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THREE YEARS FOR JUNIPER TO IMPLEMENT THESE INEXCUSABLY MISSING FEATURES.  If we had been aware that Juniper was selling us a campus-wide solution that was incapable of being monitored, we never would have bought it.  We're talking millions of dollars.

• 3.  RE: SNMP for Juniper/JUNOS Virtual-Chassis systems?

Posted 12-17-2015 02:29

Hi,

Taking a look on the juniper site, I can see that there are some links in relation to the virtual chassis mibs.

I'm unsure as to what code version you have implemented, but I can see the following information:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.3/topics/concept/mib-virtual-chassis-ex-junos-overview.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.3/topics/reference/mibs/mib-jnx-virtualchassis.txt

Implemented within these mibs I can see the following variables:

jnxVirtualChassisMemberId
            jnxVirtualChassisMemberSerialnumber
            jnxVirtualChassisMemberRole
            jnxVirtualChassisMemberMacAddBase
            jnxVirtualChassisMemberSWVersion
            jnxVirtualChassisMemberPriority
            jnxVirtualChassisMemberUptime
            jnxVirtualChassisMemberModel
            jnxVirtualChassisMemberLocation

jnxVirtualChassisMemberRole is an enumeration 1 = master, 2 = backup, 3 = linecard

For ports, then the following variables are available:

jnxVirtualChassisFpcId
            jnxVirtualChassisPortName
            jnxVirtualChassisPortAdminStatus
            jnxVirtualChassisPortOperStatus
            jnxVirtualChassisPortInPkts
            jnxVirtualChassisPortOutPkts
            jnxVirtualChassisPortInOctets
            jnxVirtualChassisPortOutOctets
            jnxVirtualChassisPortInMcasts
            jnxVirtualChassisPortOutMcasts
            jnxVirtualChassisPortInPkts1secRate
            jnxVirtualChassisPortOutPkts1secRate
            jnxVirtualChassisPortInOctets1secRate
            jnxVirtualChassisPortOutOctets1secRate
            jnxVirtualChassisPortCarrierTrans
            jnxVirtualChassisPortInCRCAlignErrors
            jnxVirtualChassisPortUndersizePkts
            jnxVirtualChassisPortCollisions

Now, of course it could be that some of these OID's are not available or implemented depending on the type of hardware and/or code version, I can't say for sure on that, but I would have thought if something was missing, then it would be possible to raise a case with JTAC to identify if another version of code includes the functionality.

Finally, if there really is a blocker in getting some of these features added, and there is a command line equivalent to identify the values, although far from ideal, it could be possible to implement a SLAX script (event) to push some of these values into the utilty mib so that it could still be polled via SNMP.   Not ideal, but possibly an option....

Ideally though it just makes sense for the mib variables to be supported.

Unfortunately I have limited access to hardware to test, but it would be interesting to know the hardware that you are using and version.  Also it might be interesting to see the results of :

> show snmp mib walk jnxVirtualChassisMemberTable

> show snmp mib walk jnxVirtualChassisPortTable

Finally, I believe that you are already familiar with KB 27711 , which provides information on using either an op/event script to gather vcp data and make it available via the utility mib.   Although the script detailed in this KB on processes the data for Input/Output Bytes per second, CRC Errors, Input/Output Bytes,  there wouldn't be much effort to add additional metrics that you would see from the "show virtual-chassis vc-port statistics extensive all-members" command.

This certainly looks like an option to make these variables available via SNMP using the script as an event script and triggering its execution at required intervals.

Regards,

Andy

• 4.  RE: SNMP for Juniper/JUNOS Virtual-Chassis systems?

Posted 12-16-2015 12:37

Question:  Do any Juniper development engineers participate in these forums, or are they just used by us end users out here?