Management
Super Contributor
cryptochrome

Re: Want some examples why NSM is a piece of junk?

Thanks for the update Keith. So the effort being put into the 2011.1 release will end up becoming 2011.2? 

Twitter: @cryptochrome
--------------------------------
plus.google.com/11635909860
Trusted Expert
Automate

I believe it will be 2011.1R2 (with the current version being an implicit R1). The year.number convention implies new features, and these are intended to be maintenance releases only.

Thx

-Keith

Super Contributor
cryptochrome

KB_Fan wrote:

I believe it will be 2011.1R2 (with the current version being an implicit R1). The year.number convention implies new features, and these are intended to be maintenance releases only.

So while they "repair" 2011.1 in form of 2011.1R2 they also work on 2011.2 to add new features I guess. What will 2011.2 be based on? On the fixed 2011.1R2? Or would the R2 fixes have to be applied to 2011.2. 

I don't get all these different versions. Seems very complicated to keep all these different "trains" running. 

Trusted Expert
Automate

Yes, it is complicated.

These current efforts are exceptions to our normal process,  intended to stabilize the platform in response to on-going field experience (this thread being a late example). 

I don't think we have all the details of the branching and integration strategy for future releases at this point.  As that changes, I will post updates.

-Keith

Super Contributor
cryptochrome

[ Edited ]
Error Code: 

Error Text:
   Cannot adjust os version from 11.1 to 10.4R6.5 for this device.

Error Details:
    No Details Available. 

Thank you very much for ruining my day once again, NSM.

Trusted Expert
Automate

@crypto..

Can you specify the platform, what you were trying to do and the version of NSM? That will help in two areas - 1) other customers avoiding the issue, and 2) I can try to validate that this would be resolved in the upcoming stability release (do you already have a PR?) 

Thx

-Keith

Super Contributor
cryptochrome

KB_Fan wrote:

@crypto..

Can you specify the platform, what you were trying to do and the version of NSM? That will help in two areas - 1) other customers avoiding the issue, and 2) I can try to validate that this would be resolved in the upcoming stability release (do you already have a PR?) 

I don't have a PR.

This is NSM 2011.1a10 patch release. We downgraded two SRX650 from Junos 11.1R3.5 to 10.4R6.5. After that NSM recognized the version change and asked us to change the version on NSM. We did that and ended up getting this error message.

Our NSM was using schema version 197 so I went ahead and upgraded the schema to the latest version (forgot the number, 20x) but that didn't help.

Opened a JTAC case before I left the office and hope to find some answers when I return there on monday.

Sascha

Super Contributor
cryptochrome

This is just great:

> Limitations> The following items are known limitations in this version of NSM:smileyembarrassed: • NSM does not support Junos OS downgrades. However, if you need to downgrade a> device, follow these steps:smileyembarrassed: 1. From the device, use the CLI command to downgrade the image. For example:smileyembarrassed: root> request system software add <package-name> reboot> 2. After the downgrade, from NSM, delete the device and then add it again.

from NSM release notes.

@Keith: Please press for an update on when the 2011.1 bug fix release will be available. This is just not bearable. 

Trusted Expert
Automate

Well, I've got some good news and some...not so good.

2010.3R2 is out - Release notes: http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/management/security-manager/nsm2010_3r2/nsm2010.3r2-release... <- please read them carefully. One issue of concern is that a decision was made to try to reduce the NSM client memory footprint - in doing so there are some performance compromises. The release notes give pretty good detail on this. The Addressed Issues section should give you a good idea of what fixes went in and what you can expect.  

I had thought I was going to get some advance notice on this, but unfortunately did not, so apologies.

The 2011.x story is not one that is going to resolve soon - I think we are trying for something before the end of the year, but it is increasingly looking like it may slip into 2012 (and thus would be a 2012.x release)

This is disappointing for many, and those with specific high-priority issues I would recommend contacting JTAC as there  may be current or upcoming patch releases to resolve those issues.

Regards,

-Keith

Super Contributor
tbehrens

In the past, downgrading NSM - even at the insistence and with the help of JTAC - has led to a corrupted / unusuable database, and the need to start over from scratch.

That means for anyone actually using NSM 2010.4 or 2011.1, there is no way but forward. Going back to 2010.3r2 simply isn't an option.

If there is a way to downgrade NSM safely and retain all database information after all, please do let us know. I'm volunteering my lab NSM as a guinea pig.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.