Routing

last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  About the interface encapsulation of VPLS

Posted 09-05-2012 01:17

Hi

talent!

I want config the vlan-id blow 512 and I know that only the encapsulation that “extended-vlan-vpls” and “flexible-ethernet-services” can support it, my case without special function ,so I confused with that which encapsulation is more suitable?

• 2.  RE: About the interface encapsulation of VPLS
    Best Answer

Posted 09-05-2012 02:43

If you configure "flexible-ethernet-services" encapsulation for a physical interface,  the you can configure different encapsulations under the logical sub-interfaces.

xe-3/2/0 {
            flexible-vlan-tagging;
            encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
            unit 3401 {
                encapsulation vlan-vpls;
                vlan-id 3400;
                }
           unit 3400 {
                encapsulation vlan-ccc;
                vlan-id 3400;
                }
            }

That means you can configure different types of  services  ( VPLS, L2VPN etc ) under a single physical interface.

But, this encapsulation is supported by certain types of hardware.

From Juniper documentation  -   http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/encapsulation-edit-interfaces-physical.html

"flexible-ethernet-services—For Gigabit Ethernet IQ interfaces and Gigabit Ethernet PICs with small form-factor pluggable transceivers (SFPs) (except the 10-port Gigabit Ethernet PIC and the built-in Gigabit Ethernet port on the M7i router), use flexible Ethernet services encapsulation when you want to configure multiple per-unit Ethernet encapsulations."

On the other hand, if you configure "extended-vlan-vpls",  you will be able to configure VPLS services only in that interface / logical interfaces.

Hope this helps.

Moses N

-------------------------------------------------------

If this post answers your question, please mark it as "Accepted Solution".
    Kudos are a nice way of expressing your gratitude.

• 3.  RE: About the interface encapsulation of VPLS

Posted 09-05-2012 07:22

Hey there,

To add to Moses' answer, keep in mind that changing the encapsulation on the physical interface is going to bounce all logical interfaces associated with it, so you may want to do that in a maintenance window.

Cheers,

• 4.  RE: About the interface encapsulation of VPLS

Posted 09-05-2012 20:37

thanks