Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Aggregate and Generate route

Posted 07-17-2013 03:01

Could some one please help me to understand the aggregate and Generate routes

• 2.  RE: Aggregate and Generate route

Posted 07-17-2013 08:21

Aggregated routes are used to summarize multiple routes into a single entry. So you can minimize the number of advertisements sent out and decrease routing table size.

You have three /24 networks you need to advertise. You can define a /22 aggregated route and advertise that instead. 

As long as at least one of the /24 networks is active then the aggregated route will be advertised. 

Generated routes are very similar to aggregated. But they use the concept of a "forwarding next hop." This is the next hop that is associated with the primary contributing route (the active route in the routing table that is longest match.) 

Aggregated routes are very common when using BGP as you have push out a lot less information. Generated routes are not as common (in the commercial space that I work in.) Generated routes are often used in conjunction with routing policy to push specific default routes when certain conditions are met as defined in the policy.

• 3.  RE: Aggregate and Generate route

Posted 07-20-2013 01:12

Thanks Kevin. When i configure the genreated routes i cant able to see the directly connected routes. 

And also is there any way to change the next hop by myself in generated routes.

• 4.  RE: Aggregate and Generate route
    Best Answer

Posted 07-21-2013 16:11

You should see the next hop if  you do a "Detail" - IE - 

user@host> sho route 0/0 exact detail 

You will the Contribuing Route at the bottom. 

As for the other part of your question: The generated route is one that you specify. The default next hop for the generated route is the one associated with the primary contributing route. IE - the one with the longest match. You can manipulate this through routing policy. 

• 5.  RE: Aggregate and Generate route

Posted 07-20-2013 00:05

Kevin is spot on but if you need a more in depth explanation I would recommend reading Chapter 5 in Junos Enterprise Routing by Harry and Doug 🙂 

• 6.  RE: Aggregate and Generate route

Posted 07-20-2013 01:12

Thanks vivek