Routing

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  BGP AS-Override

Posted 11-11-2013 03:27

Hi Experts,

I need your bit of advice regarding BGP AS-Override command

Scenario:

I have 2 MX80’s and have EBGP peering with 2 different ISP’s, on both I am receiving complete Internet routing table.

Both MX80’s also have IBGP peering with each other using route reflector and same AS number for EBGP and IBGP Peers

I am advertising complete internet routing table on IBGP Peers to use optimal path but due BGP synchronization rules, it is not advertising any routes as it see own AS in the advertisement.

Requirement:

I want to use AS Override on the IBGP peer so that it will remove own AS and will only see the ISP AS number and I think in this way it will advertise routes to its IBGP Peer.

Question:

1)     Can I achieve the result, if I use AS Override on the IBGP Peer?

2)     What will the after effects using AS Override?

Please see the memory as below:

show system processes extensive

last pid: 90741;  load averages:  0.00,  0.00,  0.00  up 563+19:16:31    05:48:23

121 processes: 2 running, 89 sleeping, 2 stopped, 28 waiting

Mem: 304M Active, 38M Inact, 71M Wired, 138M Cache, 112M Buf, 1436M Free

Swap: 2915M Total, 2915M Free

Your ASAP help will be highly appreciated

Thanks in advanace

FAZ

• 2.  RE: BGP AS-Override

Posted 11-19-2013 15:14

Hopefully this may shed some light

Enabling the AS override feature allows routes originating from an AS to be accepted by a router residing in the same AS. Without AS override enabled, the routing device refuses the route advertisement once the AS path shows that the route originated from its own AS. This is done by default to prevent route loops. The as-overridestatement overrides this default behavior.

Note that enabling the AS override feature may result in routing loops. Use this feature only for specific applications that require this type of behavior, and in situations with strict network control. One application is the IGP protocol between the provider edge routing device and the customer edge routing device in a virtual private network.

Understanding AS Override

The AS override feature allows a provider edge (PE) router to change the private autonomous system (AS) number used by a customer edge (CE) device on an external BGP (EBGP) session running on a VPN routing and forwarding (VRF) access link. The private AS number is changed to the PE AS number. Another CE device connected to another PE device sees the EBGP route coming from the first site with an AS path of provider-ASN provider-ASN, instead of provider-ASN site1-ASN. This allows enterprise networks to use the same private ASN on all sites.

The AS override feature offers a clear management advantage to the service provider because BGP by default does not accept BGP routes with an AS path attribute that contains the local AS number.

In an enterprise network with multiple sites, you might wish to use a single AS number across sites. Suppose, for example that two CE devices are in AS 64512 and that the provider network is in AS 65534.

When the service provider configures a Layer 3 VPN with this setup, even if the MPLS network has routes towards Device CE1 and Device CE2, Device CE1 and Device CE2 do not have routes to each other because the AS path attribute would appear as 64512 65534 64512. BGP uses the AS path attribute as its loop avoidance mechanism. If a site sees its own AS number more than once in the AS path, the route is considered invalid.

One way to overcome this difficulty is with the as-override statement, which is applied to the PE devices. The as-override statement replaces the CE device's AS number with that of the PE device, thus preventing the customer AS number from appearing more than once in the AS path attribute.

If a customer uses AS path prepending to make certain paths less desirable and the service provider uses AS override, each CE AS number occurrence in the AS-path is changed to the service provider AS number. For example, suppose that all customer sites use the same AS number, say 64512. If the ISP uses AS number 65534, one customer site sees the path to another site as 65534 65534. If the customer prepends 64512 on a particular path to make it less desirable, another customer site sees that path as 65534 65534 65534.

• 3.  RE: BGP AS-Override

Posted 11-19-2013 21:30

I am guessing you have below topology:

[ MX80 AS-100 ] ---- eBGP ---- ISP1 (AS-200)

|

IBGP

|

[ MX80 AS-100] ----- eBGP ---- ISP2 (AS-200)

I don't think you have to use AS-override on IBGP. AS override will be helpful if you want to advertise ISP1 learned prefixes to ISP2 where in prefix'es AS-200 will be replaced to AS-100 because of AS-override.

refer here:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.4/topics/reference/configuration-statement/as-override-edit-protocols-bgp.html

HTH,