Routing

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  BGP Aggregate and Non-Aggregate Routes Advertised to BGP Peer in a Routing-Instance

Posted 10-03-2014 13:20

Hello Juniper Routing Experts!

I need to aggregate routes to a peer on a routing instance. I can't seem to find a configuration example that works with a routing instance and all my efforts result in no routes advertised. Please reference the diagram below.

Based on what I gathered from THIS JUNIPER DOCUMENT I came up with the configuration below. I've left out a lot, and changed all the names and real addresses of course. Assume that BGP works when aggregation isn't being done, so the only things I've included are the basics and the changes for the aggregation.

All advertized routing to this neighbor, including the static that worked before, stops being advertised. Any ideas?

set policy-options policy-statement AGGREGATE_ROUTE from protocol bgp
    set policy-options policy-statement AGGREGATE_ROUTE from route-filter 10.10.0.0/16 orlonger
    set policy-options policy-statement AGGREGATE_ROUTE then accept

set routing-options aggregate route 10.10.0.0/16 policy AGGREGATE_ROUTE

set policy-options policy-statement ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA_ANNOUNCED_ROUTES term ACCEPT from protocol aggregate
    set policy-options policy-statement ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA_ANNOUNCED_ROUTES term ACCEPT from route-filter 10.10.0.0/16 exact
    set policy-options policy-statement ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA_ANNOUNCED_ROUTES term ACCEPT from route-filter 10.30.0.0/16 exact
    set policy-options policy-statement ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA_ANNOUNCED_ROUTES term ACCEPT then accept

set routing-instances ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA routing-options static route 10.30.0.0/16 next-hop {FW_IP} (so the WAN router knows how to get to the static NAT)
    set routing-instances ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA routing-options static route {ROUTER_IP} next-hop {FW_IP} (so the WAN router can peer with the local router through the fw)
    set routing-instances ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA protocols bgp group OUTSIDE type external
    set routing-instances ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA protocols bgp group OUTSIDE export ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA_ANNOUNCED_ROUTES
    set routing-instances ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA protocols bgp group OUTSIDE local-as {LOCAL_ASN}
    set routing-instances ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA protocols bgp group OUTSIDE local-as private
    set routing-instances ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA protocols bgp group OUTSIDE neighbor {FAR-END-ADDR} peer-as {FAR-END-ASN}

routing_example.PNG

Sincere thanks for your time!

Eric

#routing-instance
    #AGGREGATE
    #BGP

• 2.  RE: BGP Aggregate and Non-Aggregate Routes Advertised to BGP Peer in a Routing-Instance
    Best Answer

Posted 10-04-2014 05:14

Hi Eric,

Based on your inputs, I presume the routes 10.10.X.0/24 are in routing-instance ROUTE_INSTANCE.

If that's the case, you need to replace

set routing-options aggregate route 10.10.0.0/16 policy AGGREGATE_ROUTE

with

set routing-instances ROUTE_INSTANCE routing-options aggregate route 10.10.0.0/16 policy AGGREGATE_ROUTE

In addition to this you may need to modify the export-policy to allow static route. For example:

set policy-options policy-statement ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA_ANNOUNCED_ROUTES term ACCEPT_AGG from protocol aggregate
    set policy-options policy-statement ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA_ANNOUNCED_ROUTES term ACCEPT_AGG from route-filter 10.10.0.0/16 exact

set policy-options policy-statement ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA_ANNOUNCED_ROUTES term ACCEPT_STATIC from protocol static
    set policy-options policy-statement ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA_ANNOUNCED_ROUTES term ACCEPT_STATIC from route-filter 10.30.0.0/16 exact

Regards

Surya

• 3.  RE: BGP Aggregate and Non-Aggregate Routes Advertised to BGP Peer in a Routing-Instance

Posted 10-04-2014 05:19

Hi,

if the summarization is done inside the routing-instance then the corresponding aggregate route should be created  inside that routing-instance and not in the master instance:

routing-instances {
        ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA {
            routing-options {
                aggregate {
                    route 10.10.0.0/16 policy AGGREGATE_ROUTE;
                }
            }
        }
    }

Then your BGP export policy is not correct. You must define different terms to accept the aggregate route and the static route. And it should also explictely reject more specific routes learned through BGP. I propose the following:

policy-options { 
        policy-statement ROUTE_INSTANCE_ALPHA_ANNOUNCED_ROUTES {
            term 1 {
                from {
                    protocol aggregate;
                    route-filter 10.10.0.0/16 exact;
                }
                then accept;
            }
            term 2 {
                from {
                    protocol static;
                    route-filter 10.30.0.0/16 exact;
                }
                then accept;
            }
            term 3 {
                from {
                    protocol bgp;
                    route-filter 10.10.0.0/16 longer;
                }
                then reject;
            }
        }
    }

--
    Click the star for kudos if you think I earned it.
    If this post solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution".

• 4.  RE: BGP Aggregate and Non-Aggregate Routes Advertised to BGP Peer in a Routing-Instance

Posted 10-05-2014 21:53

Success! Thank you to you both!