Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  BGP Fast Session Deactivation

Posted 11-25-2011 00:24

IOS Cisco has a feature called "BGP Fast Session Deactivation" which speeds up a lot the teardown (even setup) of an iBGP session between remote routers. The idea behind it is quite simple: teardown the session as soon as the "neighbor ID" (usually a loopback interface) is no more reachable from routing table.

Do you know of any similar feature in JUNOS ?

Thanks a lot.

• 2.  RE: BGP Fast Session Deactivation

Posted 11-25-2011 02:14

Have your tried BGP BFD?

• 3.  RE: BGP Fast Session Deactivation

Posted 11-25-2011 07:54

Hi Dumitru,

thanks a lot for your answer.

To be sincere, never tried. I have never used BFD, so let me ask you some questions.

1) Does BFD work also between remote routers ? In other words, can I detect loss of loopback interface of remote (a few hop away) endpoint of the iBGP session, using BFD  ?

2) Does this loss detection interacts with BGP to quickly teardown the iBGP session ?

Thanks a lot.

Tiziano Tofoni

• 4.  RE: BGP Fast Session Deactivation
    Best Answer

Posted 11-28-2011 02:18

Hello,

"1) Does BFD work also between remote routers ? In other words, can I detect loss of loopback interface of remote (a few hop away) endpoint of the iBGP session, using BFD  ?"

Yes.

2) Does this loss detection interacts with BGP to quickly teardown the iBGP session ?

Yes

Read carefully the following link:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.1/topics/usage-guidelines/routing-configuring-bfd-for-bgp.html

• 5.  RE: BGP Fast Session Deactivation

Posted 11-28-2011 14:54

Thanks a lot Dumitru. As a matter of fact I followed immediately you suggestion and made some lab test. Everything seems to work great.

Thanks a lot again.