Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Best Device to choose

Posted 11-30-2011 13:57

Basically, all I need is the ability to drop a T1 and ethernet interface into a vlan together. (In netscreen terms, a bridge group). I am going to actually connect 2 sites point to point t1, that is bridged all of the way through. We are replacing a blackbox solution that is doing it now, that a 1200 MTU size limit.

I tried doing this with SSG 140s, however, the WAN interfaces do not support l2 zones. My next guess was the SRX, but I do not have any to test, nor could I find a definate answer.

At this point, I am thinking of going with a couple of J2320 with T1 PIMs. Setting the T1 and all interfaces in the default vlan and being done with it. Can anyone confirm that this configuration will work?

• 2.  RE: Best Device to choose

Posted 12-02-2011 03:14

I do not think that the SRX or J-series will do what you want unless you configure a layer-2 MPLS VPN or VPLS tunnel between the two sites.  The problem is going to lie in the fact that a T1 is not a MAC-layer interface, so bridging is not going to function correctly.  You will also have an MTU issue with this setup to a degree (and it is why I suspect the proprietary devices as well) as the addition of a label to your original frame is going to make the packets larger than they start out.  You should be able to get higher than 1200 however.

You should be able to configure either a small SRX or a J-series into MPLS (packet-based) mode, and set this up without too much issue using MPLS.

Ron

• 3.  RE: Best Device to choose
    Best Answer

Posted 12-02-2011 13:19

Thanks for the reply. After doing some testing of my own, I found the MTU max to actually be right at about 1468, and the issue only occured on traffic traversing a vlan within the trunk. Non trunk traffic worked fine, which is right on the money with your explanation. At this point, we are going to leave the bridge like it is and route the traffic across the default Vlan. Its a smal branch so we expect little problems.