Routing
Contributor
onemorepash

Built-in tunnel interface on M7i

Hi all,

I'd like to sort out some things concerning built-in tunnel PIC on M7i.

• Is this PIC build in on both FEB-M7i-M10i-S and FEB-M7i-SVCS-S ?
  • What does this PIC support? All the features of a separate real PE-TUNNEL or which some buts and ifs? How about its performance?
  • Does all this mean that on M7i we always have things like GRE, regardless we have any IP-services PIC?

Thank you.

--

Regards,

Pavel

--
Kind regards,
Pavel
Super Contributor
masoodnt10

Re: Built-in tunnel interface on M7i

onemorepash wrote:

Hi all,

I'd like to sort out some things concerning built-in tunnel PIC on M7i.

• Is this PIC build in on both FEB-M7i-M10i-S and FEB-M7i-SVCS-S ?
Yes, it has a built-in tunnel pic, unless you also ordered the optional ASM module. I believe both card comes with built-in tunnel pic.
  • What does this PIC support? All the features of a separate real PE-TUNNEL or which some buts and ifs? How about its performance?

Note that the built-in tunnel-pic supports some 850M while the stand-alone TP is rated to 1 G. The m7i either has the default TP or the optional ASM in slot 1/1. In the latter case the ASM also provides the tunneling services. There is 1Gbs of capacity to the internal service pic slot, and it seems the ASM functions are capped to around 155 Mbps, which leaves some 845 Mbps for tunnel services. When  the ASM is plugged in (which is actually a full blown AS PIC without the casing), the tunnel chip is deactivated.
  • Does all this mean that on M7i we always have things like GRE, regardless we have any IP-services PIC?
Yes for sure..

Thank you.

--

Regards,

Pavel

Regards,
Masood
BLOG: http://weblogs.com.pk/jahil/
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.