Routing
Contributor
tekemp

Cannot issue "commit confirmed" in j-series cluster private edit

We just created a j-series cluster and as expected were greated with this warning when entering configuration mode:

root@lax-fw> configure

warning: Clustering enabled; using private edit

warning: uncommitted changes will be discarded on exit

Entering configuration mode 

The problem is when we build a configuration and try to use a "commit confirmed x" we get this error:

error: commit confirmed not supported for private configuration

I have done some major research on using the private configuration and  understand you cannot use the "commit confirmed" command in private configuration mode so my questions are:

1. How do we get out of private configuration mode

2. Can we get out of private configuration mode in the current config we have built

3. Can you only use private edit in a cluster and if so how can you ever use commit confirmed?

Also when I issue the configure dynamic command I don't see an option to use commit confirmed either.

Is there anything else I need to know?

HELP PLEASE!

Trusted Expert
Automate

Re: Cannot issue "commit confirmed" in j-series cluster private edit

I'm no Junos expert, but I believe this will apply:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.0/information-products/topic-collections/swconfig-cli/... (e.g. execute "rollback")

(found by searching http://kb.juniper.net for "configure private")

Contributor
tekemp

Thanks for the quick reply but if I issue the rollback command I lose all of the changes I just made correct? I was trying to avoid that.

kai
Contributor
kai

Hi!

Had the same problem December last year and got the following answer from support:

"You can no longer use commit confirmed when using a cluster because you are configuring private candidate configurations. I'm not sure why you can't continue using commit confirmed; I just know that the ability to use the command goes away with chassis clustering. So, you'll just want to make sure you're aware of the changes that you're making to the cluster before committing those changes from the primary node."

This is why we stopped selling j-series and srx-clusters (along with the inability to update the cluster without service interuption).

Contributor
storerc

It appears that even though 'conf ?' only shows dynamic and private as valid completions, you can still use 'conf exclusive' which *will* allow you to commit confirmed.  Just tested on an SRX650 cluster running 10.0r2.10.

If anyone can think of any problems exclusive mode might cause on a cluster, or any reason Juniper intentionally left it out of the valid completions but left it as a valid command, I'd love to hear it.... Otherwise I think I'll be using exclusive mode from now on....

-Chris
New User
NextBus

I *did* find a problem caused by "configure exclusive", on an SRX240 cluster, 10.0r3.10.

While testing this out, I performed a minor change under "configure exclusive", then did a "commit confirmed 3" and let it time out.  After the timeout the result was:

Commit was not confirmed; automatic rollback failed.

This left the cluster configuration inconsistent, preventing commits of *any* further changes with the error

error: remote lock-configuration failed on node1

I had to manually commit the proposed change on node1 to fix this situation, and JTAC verified that the "confirmed" mechanism will not work out for the cluster.

Contributor
TravisJohnson

It would be great if they would fix this.

Commit confirmed is a great feature when working with a first line "less proficient" team to handle grunt work.

If my post helped you, please feel free to give me kudos.
Recognized Expert
mhariry

Still same problem with commit confirmed. It is very important feature especially I am working remotely and afraid to lose connectivity so each time have to visit the site to make change. Do we have any news or still same issue?

Thanks,

Mohamed

Regards,
Mohamed Elhariry
2* JNCIE (SEC # 159, SP # 1059),JNCIP-ENT

[Click the "Star" for Kudos if you think I earned it!
If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]
Contributor
IanK

Is commit confirmed on the srx roadmap  for clustering or simply a feature hat will never be available ? Anyone have any idea ? 

Visitor
1441@nrps.on.ca

Old thread, but I believe if you start with "Config Shared", you can then do a "commit confirmed".

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.