Routing
Regular Visitor
Verlo

Cisco-Juniper OSPF

How do I get lo0 IP address advertised to a Cisco OSPF neighbor in JUNOS.

I only have two interfaces up/up on the MX960, lo0 and a 10G uplink to a Cisco 7609 with OSPF neighbor established.

/verlo

Recognized Expert
wimclend

Re: Cisco-Juniper OSPF

i'm pretty sure all you need to do is enable OSPF on the lo0 interface (assuming OSPF is already enabled on the interface connecting to the Cisco)

set protocols ospf area X interface lo0 passive

I believe that is the command.

Unless I haven't had enough coffee this morning and my brain isn't fully functioning, I believe that should do it :smileyhappy:

Good luck,

Will

Visitor
MikeS

Hey Verlo,

I am not sure what you are using for your setup, but I will make some assumptions in case they help you.

You will need to configure the MX960 10G uplink to be an active interface in OSPF.

I assume that the 10G port is on the same subnet as the interface on the Cisco 7609 if you are routing between them.

You should be using the same OSPF area as the Cisco 7609.

If you are using authentication, the correct key information will need to match the Cisco 7609

The lo0 interface should be configured like the 10G port but set to passive.

If you are using a firewall filter (such as on the loopback), then you will need to permit the OSPF traffic from the Cisco7609.

I assume you set the lo0 interface to have an IP address other than the default.

I would set a router id on the MX960 to be the new host loopback IP.

Here is an example:

set protocols ospf area 0.0.0.1 interface lo0.0 passive
set protocols ospf area 0.0.0.1 interface lo0.0 authentication md5 0 key "SECRET"
set protocols ospf area 0.0.0.1 interface ge-1/3/0.1 authentication md5 0 key "SECRET"

set firewall family inet filter protect-MX960 term restrict-ospf from source-address 192.168.0.1/32  # Example IP #

set firewall family inet filter protect-MX960 term restrict-ospf from protocol ospf
set firewall family inet filter protect-MX960 term restrict-ospf then accept

set routing-options router-id 10.0.0.1 # Example IP #

I think this should help.

-Mike

Visitor
vicky

HI

first check between mx and cisco over wan/backtoback link what is status of ospf?

is ospf is up and runing?

cisco-juniper has some interop issue of MTU, cisco MTU and juniper interface MTU are not same.

so u have to set the correct MTU on both routers then only ospf will come up

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.