Routing

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Compact Flash Upgrades - J Series

Posted 10-17-2011 07:41

So, I've recently been reading through some of the newer revs of code and it looks like they are requiring a 1GB CF card be in the router for the latest upgrades.  Problem is, these puppies seem to be so overpriced it makes my head spin.  Last quote I got for (1) of these was a bit over $1,000!  So, what is so special about this CF card??  I've been looking for a document on here referencing supported replacements, and can't find anything.  So my question is, have any of you gone the route of using other vendors for this upgrade?  I mean really, these things go for like $15 for any regular 1gb CF card...

• 2.  RE: Compact Flash Upgrades - J Series

Posted 10-17-2011 07:49

I have upgraded my J-series using a SAN Disk card with no problems. If you want I can even dig up the specific part number for you.

• 3.  RE: Compact Flash Upgrades - J Series

Posted 10-17-2011 08:11

That would be great if you could get me the part number.  Looks like there is a few revs of the card out there for Sandisk.  Would be nice to get one that I know works.  Thanks for the fast reply!

• 4.  RE: Compact Flash Upgrades - J Series

Posted 10-17-2011 10:48

No problem -

Sandisk 1GB CompactFlash Card (SDCFB1024800)

It looks like it is still out there on Amazon - I know they sell "Ultra" and "Extreme" and Version II - whatever - but the old basic 512 MB and 1GB work and so I went with them. (And I am somewhat clueless as to the differences 🙂

Here is an Amazon link to the 1GB and the 512 MB

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-1GB-CompactFlash-Card-SDCFB1024800/dp/B0000A4JNG/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1318873465&sr=8-18

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-512-MB-CompactFlash-Card/dp/B00005ICE2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318873638&sr=1-1

• 5.  RE: Compact Flash Upgrades - J Series
    Best Answer

Posted 10-17-2011 11:08

That's funny, I was looking at those ones exactly!  Thanks again for your help with this.

• 6.  RE: Compact Flash Upgrades - J Series

Posted 10-17-2011 16:07

Just reporting that I have used SanDisk SDCFJ-1024 CBE 1 Gb cards with no issues. Have used in both J4300 and J2320 type routers.

I'm going to out on a limb here and guess that Juniper specs certain cards so that it gives them a buffer against some knucklehead who goes to 1800cfcards.com or something like that and then opens a ticket with JTAC when said cheap/crap card doesn't work correctly.

From a support perspective I understand this and I get it.

I really cannot see why compact flash card X versus compact flash card Y would really matter so long as the manufacturer is a solid entity.

I can also see where the cost of officially sanctioned CF cards, SDRAM, etc would be a safety blanket for people...particularly those coming from a Cisco background where you might not have the freedom to freestyle your memory if you know what I'm saying.