Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Configuring LDP L2VPN - Frame-relay to Ethernet

Posted 11-22-2015 09:21

Hello All,

We are trying to configure L2VPN between two PE routers (Cisco and Juniper), the configuration was successfull for the "inet over TCC" (configuration below):

juniperlab> show configuration interfaces so-0/2/0
    dce;
    speed oc3;
    encapsulation frame-relay-tcc;
    framing {
        sdh;
    }
    lmi {
        lmi-type ansi;
    }
    sonet-options {
        rfc-2615;
    }
    unit 512 {
        encapsulation frame-relay-tcc;
        dlci 512;
    }

juniperlab> show configuration protocols l2circuit   
    neighbor 5.5.5.5 {
        interface so-0/2/0.100 {
            virtual-circuit-id 100;
        }
        interface so-0/2/0.512 {
            virtual-circuit-id 512;
            mtu 1700;
        }
    }

Now two questions:

1- On the Juniper PE, can we configure a family inet unit under a different unit under the same physical interface?,

I configured it already but not yet tested it:

2- Can we configure the LDP L2vpn to carry Ethernet over TCC (or Ethernet interworking in Cisco wording)?

I added "encapsulation type ethernet" under protocol l2circuit neigbour interface so-0/2/0.512 but not yet tested.

Thanks in advance...

• 2.  RE: Configuring LDP L2VPN - Frame-relay to Ethernet

Posted 11-22-2015 14:58

Hi Ramy,

For the first one, you would need to configure "flexible-frame-relay" under interface config.

This is supported on IQ and IQE pic interfaces.

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos15.1/topics/usage-guidelines/interfaces-configuring-frame-relay-interface-encapsulation.html

For the second part, the L2CKT may not come up. You can still force it to ignore using below command.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos15.1/topics/reference/configuration-statement/ignore-encapsulation-mismatch-edit-protocols-l2circuit.html

-Surya

• 3.  RE: Configuring LDP L2VPN - Frame-relay to Ethernet

Posted 11-22-2015 20:56

Thank you Surya, I will test the flexible-frame-relay encapsulation.

As for the second point, I have two questions:

1- After ignoring the encapsulation, there shoulnd't be problems in the control plane and the L2CKT will come up, what about the forwarding? assume the CE attached to Cisco PE is sending IPoE, then Cisco will encapsulate this into MPLS to be IPoEoMPLS, then Juniper will receive the IPoEoMPLS, will Juniper PE be able to forward IPoEoFR to its CE?

2- Isn't there any other straight forward way to do so without ignoring the encapsulation?

• 4.  RE: Configuring LDP L2VPN - Frame-relay to Ethernet

Posted 11-23-2015 10:33

Hi Ramy,

On a second thought, why you would like to configure encapsulation as ethernet on one side when the LCKT is for TCC?

Once you configure TCC on CE facing interface, router should be able to strip off or add FR header based on traffic direction.

Regards

Surya

• 5.  RE: Configuring LDP L2VPN - Frame-relay to Ethernet

Posted 11-24-2015 00:35

Hello Surya,

This is a customer requirement, to preserve the Ethenret frame end-to-end, I might be mistaken in the frame-relay-tcc encapsulation on the attachment circuit, it should have been frame-relay-ether-type-tcc instead, is this right?

And do you think this encapsulation is supported on PIC 4x OC-3 1x OC-12 SFP of an M10i router? and if yes, which Junos version?

Thanks,

Ramy

• 6.  RE: Configuring LDP L2VPN - Frame-relay to Ethernet
    Best Answer

Posted 11-24-2015 12:31

Hi Ramy,

The encap "frame-relay-ether-type-tc" is a method used to decode the underlying payload type beneth the FR header.

As per IETF, NLPID within FR header identifies the payload type. However to support Cisco-compatible Frame Relay where payload type is determined using "ether-type" encoded in FR header, this encap has to be used.

Regards

Surya