Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Dedicated Internet Access via Point to Multipoint Config

Posted 10-02-2012 08:21
      |   view attached

Hi,

Need some advise on the best approach to setup internet access in point to multipoint network.

Current setup customer is connected via static ip point to point (Diagram A) with 10M capacity. after a year customer request to have dedicated internet access to 2nd branch and split the capacity to 5M each link. I'm thinking of point to multipoint setup and vlan as diagram B. router J series.

I have questions as follows;

1. wan operational ip - Do i need to have another static ip 192.10.10.4/30 to 2nd branch as what in diagram B?

2. do i need to create 2 vlan seperately and 2 vlan interface?

3.can i have same ip block 192.168.100.0/24 for 2nd branch meaning that 1st branch and 2nd branch sharing the same ip block.

How other people do this. Any ideas and comment would be much appreciated. 

Thank you sir.

• 2.  RE: Dedicated Internet Access via Point to Multipoint Config

Posted 10-02-2012 15:49

Hi,

Based on the  assumption,  that your WAN links are Ethernet links,

1) If the WAN link provider can give you multi-access sevices like VPLS or MetroEthernet, then you can expand your current WAN link to a /29 subnet and assign a new IP to the new branch in the same range.

But, 2 p2p links with seperate WAN range is simple and straight forward perfect solution. ( as in your diagram)

2) Yes, if these services are provided through Ethernet VLANs,

3) You need to seperate 2 different blocks ( or divide into 2 subnets of the existing 192.168.100/24) in order to route the networks correctly to the respective branches.

If the customer LANs of both branches are connected through a Ethernet back-door link, you can use the same IP range. But load-sharing of the WAN link will be more difficult.

Normally , ISPs would provide 2 P2P links and customer LAN network will be 2 different subnets.

Regards,

Moses N

• 3.  RE: Dedicated Internet Access via Point to Multipoint Config
    Best Answer

Posted 10-02-2012 18:28
      |   view attached

Hi mosesnehru,

Thank you for your reply.

If customer request to remain same block of their LAN IPs for both branch. Please correct me.

a. I think 2 x p2p link would not be able to support the requirement as this will create 2 different block of ip for customer. Branch1 and branch 2 will be in different ip subnet.

b. To comply , provider need to give metro ethernet (for wan) and assign new /29 operational ip and remain block IP for both branchs route to only one internet ip gateway as diagram C. I'm i right. 

Thank you sir.

Regards,

chenoi

• 4.  RE: Dedicated Internet Access via Point to Multipoint Config

Posted 10-02-2012 19:09

Hi,

If customer wants to keep the same LAN subnet in branches, WAN can be either P2P or P2MP, doesn't matter.

Can you divide the existing subnet into  further  subnets ( Eg,  192.168.100.0/25 and 192.168.100.128/25) and allocate one subnet for each branches?

Because ISP router, should point a route back to each branches, therefore you should allocate a subnet from your existing IP address space to the new branch.

Regards,

Moses N

• 5.  RE: Dedicated Internet Access via Point to Multipoint Config

Posted 10-03-2012 03:55

Hi,

Thank you sir. I think i get d idea Smiley Happy