Routing
Regular Visitor
salman_140cis

Default Gateway 0/0 Of Broadband Network

Hello Guys

I am using a broadband wireless connection and my default gateway comes up as a 0.0.0.0 as can be seen below

C:\Users\test>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
PPP adapter eVo:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1                               *(A fake IP is used here)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Why is this gateway 0/0 i mean this should be some IP in the subnet from which valid public IPV4 IP is assigned.

In this case how will the packet will reach their intended destination.Is this normal in broadband networks ? Does'nt the PC receives a valid gateway in  IPCP stage.I have also read that 0/0 gateway means that "Computers normally show an address of 0.0.0.0 when they are not connected to a TCP/IP network".

Can someone please clear how the packets are reaching their intended destination.Also,is the DNS server address exchanged b/w PC and BRAS during any PPPoE and PPP stage.

Thanks & Regards

Salman

Contributor
Caillin

Re: Default Gateway 0/0 Of Broadband Network

Hi Salman,

PPP is a point to poitn circuit only so it can use the physical interface as the next hop address, much like you can with a gre tunnel or an IPSec tunnel.  Hence you get a default gateway 0/0 without an IPv4 next hop address.

Yes IPCP can (and normaly will) pass down a DNS address IF requested by the client.

Cheers,

Caillin

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.