Routing
Contributor
Gadde

ERX 1400 BGP neighbor password hash changing in every view

Hi,

This is regarding BGP password hash in a Juniper ERX 1400 Switch. Each time I give show config, the password hash is changing. I am new to this ERX series, can anyone pls. explain how to get the original password ? I tried some Googling, found 'show secrets' command, but whatever output it is giving, its already there in show config , under service-password encryption,  

enable secret level 10 5 .....

But my doubt is in bgp part of the config,

neighbor x.x.x.x password 8 (secret data)  is present in config file. every time I give a show config , its displaying a different data in secret data section.

This is not the case with Juniper M-Series routers, where the hash remains same always.  Can anyone pls. explain this. I need to move config from Juniper ERX to juniper M120.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Pradeep
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
Ulf

Re: ERX 1400 BGP neighbor password hash changing in every view

Hi,

in 2003 I've been told the following:

- if password has been configured as plain-text it's shown differently each time by show conf as the system-(uptime-)time is included in the generation of the output to disguise

- if password has been configured encrypted it should stay the same

Either way it can't (easily) be reverted, so you need to talk to somebody to give you the clear-text password so that you can put that in your M120 config.

Best Regards

Ulf

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Super Contributor
masoodnt10

Re: ERX 1400 BGP neighbor password hash changing in every view

I have written a BLOG " how to recover bgp password on Juniper Routers"

Here is the URL:

http://weblogs.com.pk/jahil/archive/2008/08/27/recover-bgp-password-juniper-junos.aspx

HTH

Regards,
Masood
BLOG: http://weblogs.com.pk/jahil/
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.