Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Error: Route-distinguisher cannot be configured for non-forwarding instance

Posted 01-04-2012 04:34
      |   view attached

Hi,

I am trying to configure the VPN configuration on PE1 (116.197.178.8) through command line to verify that all the configuration given in VPN guide are working fine. But I got the error while configuring routing-instances. Error is as below:

[edit routing-instances]
      'VPN-A-Paris'
        RT Instance: Route-distinguisher cannot be configured for non-forwarding instance: VPN-A-Paris

In the VPN configuration guide, it is suggested that

"To allow the PE and P routers to exchange routing information among themselves, you
    must configure an interior gateway protocol (IGP) on all these routers or you must
    configure static routes. You configure the IGP on the master instance of the routing
    protocol process (rpd) (that is, at the [edit protocols] hierarchy level), not within the VPN
    routing instance (that is, not at the [edit routing-instances] hierarchy level)."

I find that the guide does not describe how to configure IGP protocol or configuring static routes. Can you please help on this. Error log is attached.

Thanks,

Satish

Attachment(s)

txt
    router-error.txt   1 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Error: Route-distinguisher cannot be configured for non-forwarding instance

Posted 01-04-2012 05:16

Hi Santish

For the error you are getting now it is becuase the routing-instance is not defined as a "instance-type vrf". At first you did define VPN-A-Paris as a VRF but after the rollback command it was not defined again. I would assume that if you did a "top show routing-instance VPN-A-Paris" you would not find much there.

Below is a minimum config that will successfully commit.

[edit]
    lab@poplar-re0# show routing-instances VPN-A-Paris 
    instance-type vrf;
    route-distinguisher 65535:1;
    vrf-target target:65535:1;

[edit]
    lab@poplar-re0# commit check 
    configuration check succeeds

[edit]
    lab@poplar-re0#