Routing

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Explanation of announcement bits?

Posted 03-23-2011 08:59

Hello

I searched for an explanation of what the different announcement bits are in the show route extensive command, but couldn't' t find it.

Some of the bits:

KRT:
    Resolve tree: This is the only one with an explanation. This route is used for route resolution for the next-hop.
    BGP RT Background:

Does anyone can add more information?

Regards, Fernando

• 2.  RE: Explanation of announcement bits?

Posted 03-24-2011 23:27

There's 100s of fields in the extensive command.  You really need to reply back with a more specific question.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.4/topics/reference/command-summary/show-route-extensive.html

I'm just goint to guess the negative number is throwing you off.  It's the 1's complement of the Preference.

• 3.  RE: Explanation of announcement bits?

Posted 03-25-2011 04:51

Hello

Actually the line that I wanna understand is:

Announcement bits (3): 0-KRT 5-Resolve tree 2 8-BGP RT Background

Thanks in advance

• 4.  RE: Explanation of announcement bits?
    Best Answer

Posted 03-28-2011 04:04

pcadmin@tecnocom.es wrote:

Hello

Actually the line that I wanna understand is:

Announcement bits (3): 0-KRT 5-Resolve tree 2 8-BGP RT Background

Thanks in advance

Announcement bits simply take care of accounting which protocols are consumers of the actual route. For instance, in your example, you have '3' because the 'clients' which have state for this route are Kernel (0-KRT), 5 (resolution tree process 2) and 8 (BGP).

Normally each 'client' of the route sees only its own announcement bits and when a client request for the route to be cancelled, the route is really flagged for cancellation but as far as no other clients exist for this particular route, it is flagged for cancellation but not actually deleted until no clients are associated to it.

HTH

Magno