Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Hardening test hard disk / media flash card on MX480?

Posted 02-09-2015 01:20

Hi All,

Just want to know whether we can do some hardening test (specific command) for hard disk /media flas card to make sure the hard disk card is in good condition. What i mean such as PC - hard disk bad sector.

Thanks and appreciate someone feedback

• 2.  RE: Hardening test hard disk / media flash card on MX480?
    Best Answer

Posted 02-09-2015 02:02

Yes, there are few utilities that you can use.

First it is wise to analyze the logs. Maybe the malfunctioning is already showing itself in the logs.

CF is ad0 and HDD is ad1 or ad2.

You can use smartd to check the HDD/CF state. These are options that you have.

smartd -oA /dev/ad1 ………. Stops any currently running tests
    smartd –oS /dev/ad1 ………. Runs short self test
    smartd -oX /dev/ad1 ………. Runs extended diagnostic test.  May take about 30 minutes
    smartd -oa /dev/ad1 ………. Shows results of the test

It is recommended to run these commands on the backup RE. Do a switchover to run them on both REs.

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 3.  RE: Hardening test hard disk / media flash card on MX480?

Posted 02-09-2015 20:06

Hi Parau,

First of all thanks for your kindness feedback. All that command need to run under start shell right? Is there any impact if i done on production environment?

Thanks and appreciate your feedback

• 4.  RE: Hardening test hard disk / media flash card on MX480?

Posted 02-10-2015 00:13

Yes, they are run from shell. You can use them in production, but make sure that you are running them on the backup RE. As said, you can perform a switchover to check both REs.

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 5.  RE: Hardening test hard disk / media flash card on MX480?

Posted 02-10-2015 18:53

Hi Parau,

Thanks again for your feedback.