Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  How to send someroutes to specific IBGP neighbors and not all IBGP neighbors..

Posted 12-02-2014 02:06

Hello,

I was wondering if i could fine-tune IBGP export policy to export BGP prefiixes to only few neighbors and not all.

Example i have 6 IBGP neighbors and among the 6 i would like to advertise BGP prefixes to only 3 neighbors. the othe 3 i want to advertise direct routes only, not BGP prefixes. what options do i have here? is there away i can specify which neighbors to export the prefixes to in the policy itself.

something like:

term1

{

from

{

destination-address 1.1.1.1,    2.2.2.2,  3.3.3.3;

}

}

then acccept

}

or can i put this 3 neighbors in a difrent IBGP group and apply the export policy??

Regards,

Sheel.

• 2.  RE: How to send someroutes to specific IBGP neighbors and not all IBGP neighbors..

Posted 12-02-2014 02:41

Putting them in different groups with different export policies applied to each group would accomplish your goal of advertising different routes to other neighbors.  You could also apply different export policies on each neighbor in that one group, but keep in mind that neighbor-level export policies override group-level export policies. 

However, if I recall, it is more efficient for the router to process updates on a per-group basis than it is on a per-neighbor basis, but I could be wrong.  I am trying to find the reference and it may be that it's too early in the morning for me, but I'm hoping someone else can chime in an provide more details on that aspect.

• 3.  RE: How to send someroutes to specific IBGP neighbors and not all IBGP neighbors..

Posted 12-02-2014 04:02

Hi Evt

I think i can go with diffrent groups and diffrent export policies for each group. that will be less complex compared to neighbor-level policies.

Regards,

Shee;

• 4.  RE: How to send someroutes to specific IBGP neighbors and not all IBGP neighbors..
    Best Answer

Posted 12-04-2014 06:38

hello Evt,

I settled for the option of neighbor-level exports policies and its doing the JOB. thanks alot.

Regards,

Sheel.