Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  ISIS on logical l3 vlan interfaces

Posted 09-24-2009 11:21

Hi,

is it possible to have isis running on a  logical l3 vlan interface ? I have two j-series systems running 9.5(2.7) domestic. But they don't form any adj. My physical l3 links works fine.

Thanks for your help 

• 2.  RE: ISIS on logical l3 vlan interfaces

Posted 09-24-2009 11:40

If I recall things from reading about it a while ago is-is runs on layer II in the osi family. Vlan ints are layer 3 in ethernet, could never work if you ask me.

Message Edited by Screenie on 09-24-2009 10:09 PM

• 3.  RE: ISIS on logical l3 vlan interfaces

Posted 09-25-2009 00:07

Thanks for you answer.

Yes, thats 4 sure isis is running on l2. But does a logical l3 interface as part of a l2 vlan not have ethernet encapsulation ?

Any other ideas to get my VLAN networks propagated via isis ?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: ISIS on logical l3 vlan interfaces

Posted 09-25-2009 00:30

I can't think of a reason why this should not work. Could you share your configuration with us please?

I believe the following 3 things will be required to get it to work.

1. Enable family iso on the interface
    2. Have a interface somewhere on the box with a family iso address configured.
    3. Configure interfaces under protocol isis.

• 5.  RE: ISIS on logical l3 vlan interfaces

Posted 09-25-2009 02:57

Hello,

please find my configs attached. Box-a and Box-b are connected via an ex3200 switch over ge-3/0/0 as dot1q trunk and ge-0/0/0 as l3 link with isis enabled. All other links are attached to other j-boxes an mx240 routers as part of a bigger network.

VRRP is working fine and both boxes have formed adj. via isis to each other around, except via vlan.10

show isis int vlan.10 doesn't showing isis being active on that interface and perhaps won't propagated.

I'm a JUNOS newbie comming from IOS 🙂

thanx for your help

Attachment(s)

txt
    j-box-b.txt   2 KB 1 version
    txt
    j-box-a.txt   2 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: ISIS on logical l3 vlan interfaces

Posted 09-25-2009 04:06

Hi

I assume this is a J Series router running JUNOS with Enhanced Services.

I have been trying to get it working in my own lab but I am not sure if I can. What I noticed is that I can't get "family iso" enabled on the vlan interface.

When you look at the ouput of "show isis interfaces" the vlan interface is not listed there. When you look at the output of "show interface vlan.10" it has not protocol iso enabled.

Are you seeing the same?

• 7.  RE: ISIS on logical l3 vlan interfaces

Posted 09-25-2009 04:24

I'm not in the office today and have no remote access to the lab to check it out.

Do I need to enable  family isis on the dot1q trunk 3/0/0 too ?

Thanks for your efforts

• 8.  RE: ISIS on logical l3 vlan interfaces

Posted 10-06-2009 04:07

Hi there,

sorry for the delay...

Today I resume to spend some time in the lab.

The show interface vl.10 displayed it has not protocol iso enabled. Additionally it didn't work with familiy iso on the l2 trunk ports, as the familie ethernet-switching is active.

Any other ideas anybody ?

Thansk Michael

• 9.  RE: ISIS on logical l3 vlan interfaces
    Best Answer

Posted 10-06-2009 08:06

Problem solved...

you only need to set the interface passive on isis to get the network propagatedSmiley Happy

Thank you all for support.