Routing

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  JNCIA Practice Question - BGP Help

Posted 11-13-2014 04:54

If your WAN-edge router is multihomed to different ISPs, which two BGP attributes would you modify to affect outbound traffic? (Choose two.)

A. MED
    B. origin
    C. local preference
    D. community

I owuld normally think A & C but the answer is B & C.. How does B do this, Can someone tell me how origin affects the outbound traffic?

• 2.  RE: JNCIA Practice Question - BGP Help
    Best Answer

Posted 11-13-2014 05:17

Considering this link:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1/topics/reference/general/routing-ptotocols-address-representation.html

If you receive the same route from ISP1 and ISP2 and everything being equal, at step 6, the criteria will be origin code.

If the origin code will be different, then the algorithm will stop and you will choose the lowest code, hence you will choose to which ISP to send your traffic.

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 3.  RE: JNCIA Practice Question - BGP Help

Posted 11-13-2014 05:25

Ok I see now, It just the way it was worded to me.. Once I heard the explanation made complete sense..

Thank you!!