Routing

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  L2VPN MAC learning?

Posted 08-29-2012 04:56

Hi, expert.

Can you explain technique for implement L2VPN (not VPLS) full mesh forwarding ethernet packet. Are there any kind of MAC learning on PE routers?

• 2.  RE: L2VPN MAC learning?

Posted 08-29-2012 06:23

L2VPN is basically p2p pseudowire and doesn't learn MAC. I don't think we can implement P2MP L2VPN.

VPLS is the solution for such requirement.

• 3.  RE: L2VPN MAC learning?

Posted 08-29-2012 06:34

My understanding too that L2VPN is p2p architecture, but I read some juniper documentation and will surprise with this phrase

"The remote site ID allows you to configure a sparse Layer 2 VPN topology. A sparse topology means that each site does not have to connect to all the other sites in the VPN; thus it is unnecessary to allocate circuits for all the remote sites. Remote site IDs are particularly important if you configure a topology more complicated than full-mesh, such as a hub-and-spoke topology."

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos95/swconfig-vpns/id-10535747.html

Draft Komplella provide procedure to calculate label for more than one remote site in VPN. And whether this phrase mean that I can establish at least p2mp tunnel from local site without use remote-site-id. And if yes, how router will decide to which PW send ethernet label.

• 4.  RE: L2VPN MAC learning?
    Best Answer

Posted 08-29-2012 14:33

Hey there,

remote-site-id has more to do with default site association rules. Imagine a PE-1 with site CE-1 that has multiple interfaces.

By default, the order of interfaces under CE-1 in the configuration are relevant. In other words, the first interface will get a site-id=1, each following interface's would be incremented by 1and default inheritance will be increased by two when remote site id equals local site id.

With remote-site-id knob, you have more control (and sometimes visibility) over this association mechanism.

For example

[...]

site CE-1 {
    site-identifier 1;
    interface fe-0/0/0.30 {
    remote-site-id 3;
    }
    interface fe-0/0/0.20 {
    remote-site-id 2;
     }
    }

is equal to:

[...]

site CE-1 {
    site-identifier 1;
    interface fe-0/0/0.20 {
     }
    interface fe-0/0/0.30 {
      }
    }

Note that the first interface get remote-site-id 2 because the local id is 1.

In short, there's still no mac learning involved.

Hope this helps,

• 5.  RE: L2VPN MAC learning?

Posted 08-30-2012 01:28

Many thanks! Great explanation