Routing
Trusted Expert
Kashif-rana

LAN bridging (like IP helper address in cisco) in J-4300????

Hi

Can any one guide me LAN bridging feature (converting broadcast in to unicast like ip helper address + IP farword protocol) in cisco) in J-4300?

I mean this feature is present in J-4300 and how to configure it?

Thanks in advance

Kashif Rana
JNCIE-SEC, JNCIE-ENT, JNCIE-SP, JNCIS(FWV,SSL),JNCIA(IDP,AC,WX),BIG IP-F5-LTM, CCNP
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".Kudos are always appreciated!
Recognized Expert
benb

Re: LAN bridging (like IP helper address in cisco) in J-4300????

JUNOS can act as a bootp/dhcp helper.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos90/swconfig-policy/configuring-the-router-or-interface-to-act-as-a-dhcpbootprelayagent.html#id-11391961 

It also supports DNS and TFTP forwarding.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos90/swconfig-policy/configuring-dns-and-tftp-packet-forwarding.html

Regards,

Ben 

Trusted Expert
Kashif-rana

Thanks a lot for your time.

A lil intro about our network before explaining the implementation we are going to do.

All branch offices are connected to the HO with GRE tunnels and we want to implement is that a udp traffic is coming from our principal to our LAN and we want to forward this udp traffic (on certain port) to our branches.

Is this possible?

Please guide me

Thanks in advance

Kashif Rana
JNCIE-SEC, JNCIE-ENT, JNCIE-SP, JNCIS(FWV,SSL),JNCIA(IDP,AC,WX),BIG IP-F5-LTM, CCNP
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".Kudos are always appreciated!
Trusted Expert
Kashif-rana

Hi

Please reply some one!!!!!!!

Kashif Rana

Super Contributor
davidjdv

Can you please clarify a bit further what you are aiming to achieve ?

It seems that the head-office router will be receiving broadcast packets which (based on UDP port#) you want to forward to all branch offices.

You mention LAN bridging but that won't work since Juniper does not support it except on the MX-series.

UDP forwarding was not really designed to do what you're after and it will only support certain protocols - plus it wasn't designed for one to many communication.

VPLS might suit your needs but it is not supported on the J-series.

I guess this leaves true multicast - would that be a possibility for you ?

Hopefully others will chime-in if they have other ideas (or to correct me if I'm wrong).

Regards,

/david 

Trusted Expert
Kashif-rana

Thanks alot David for your time and reply.

1) My actual Question is "How can we relay  UDP broadcast traffic on different subnets?" Is it possible?you are right that i saw certain protocols like DHCP etc can be relayed.

2) you mentioned multicasting UDP traffic. May it be a solution for me?

Thanks

Kashif Rana

Super Contributor
davidjdv

I think multicasting UDP would be the most elegant solution provided your application supports it. The source must be capable of sending traffic to multicast groups and the intended destinations for this traffic must be able receive traffic sent to a multicast address. If that is possible then your J-Series routers could run PIM over the GRE tunnels and you could use IGMP or static joins to designate the branch routers that need to receive the traffic.

/david 

Contributor
Shiv

Hi All, We have a similar setup implemented across a large network and what we have used is Multicast with NAT. All we want is to trasmit multicast traffic received by one of our router, use NAT to change the source and destination address, so that it traveses as unicast UDP paskte till it reaches the destination.

Again, the NAT rukes in J series should help you to put specific source address referringto each destination points...

Cheers
Shiv
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.