Routing
Visitor
gregg_hughes

Latest supported Junos rev?

Good afternoon, all!

What's the latest supported firmware/Junos for the J2300?  Assuming plenty of RAM and storage...

Thanks!

Gregg

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
pk

Re: Latest supported Junos rev?

Hi

It's Junos 9.3, latest Release is file junos-jseries-9.3R4.4-domestic.tgz

(they may also have service (S) releases of 9.3 with bug fixes available via JTAC).

Best Regards,
Petr (PK)

Juniper Ambassador, Juniper Networks Certified Instructor,
JNCIE-SEC #98, JNCIE-ENT #393, JNCIE-SP #2253
[Juniper Authorized Education & Support in Russia]
Trusted Expert
Automate

9.3 because of? (flow mode? Memory? Technical Bulletin?) I wasn't aware of any particular restrictions on the J2300 preventing it from running any recent Junos release (e.g. 11.1) - but if there is one, we can get a warning up on the download page.

Thx

-Keith

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
pk

Hi

According to my knowledge, Junos "Enhanced services" (junos-jsr*) has never been supported on older J-series (J2300, 4300, 6300).  And 9.3 is just the last packet-based junos (junos-jseries*) for J-series that exists.

I don't have TB info but compating the following links, you can see Jx300 is not considered as a supported platform in 9.4:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos9.3/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/...

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos9.4/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/...

I've also seen some info (can't recall where) that junos-jsr actually will work on J2300, but it is not supported.

Best Regards,
Petr (PK)

Trusted Expert
Automate

Dropping platform support is a Big Deal which is why I asked. I just checked with JTAC - J2300 and the other 1GB platforms _can_ run the latest Junos releases. However, because the feature set (including flow-mode) is heavier, the scaling metrics will be impacted (i.e. CPU load, sessions, routes, etc). However they also confirmed that running in packet mode (which can also be done on all Junos releases) drops the resource load substantially.

HTH,

-Keith

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
pk

Hi

Sorry but I can not 100% agree with you. Here are Junos-ES 8.5 release notes

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-es/junos-es85/rn-junos-es-85/rn-junos-es-85.pdf

that say that flow-based (ES) Junos is supported on

- J2320 and J2350
- J4350
- J6350
- SSG320m and SSG350m (requires conversion kit)
- SSG520m and SSG550m (requires conversion kit)

No J2300/4300/6300 here! Same for higher versions of Junos-ES (and after 9.4 only Junos-ES
exists). I agree that it _will_ run on J2300. However, the question was - what is _supported_
on that platform.

So my point is that if J2300 supports Junos > 9.3 then there must be an official document
that states it. Otherwise no guarantee that any particular features will work exists.

Best Regards,
Petr (PK)

Trusted Expert
Automate

I would agree that it's ambiguous. However, JTAC will take calls on that platform running later versions of Junos. That's one definition of "supported".

Suitability of purpose is another, and that's where getting sage advice from resellers like yourself (or an SE) is always a good idea.

Cheers,

-Keith

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
pk

Thanks a lot for clarification, KB_Fan.

Best Regards,
Petr (PK)

Visitor
gregg_hughes

OK, I see that I've inadvertently kicked a beehive......

What I'm going to do is run the latest 9.3 version.  Our needs are very simple, and it's more important that the versions are within shouting distance of each other than we have the latest gee-whiz features.

That having been said, I need to load the image to a new compact flash.  I remember at one point running a program called physdiskwrite to write the files to a CF and have it boot the router.  I don't, however, have the docs anymore on this.  So - what's the easiest and most foolproof way to write a 9.3 image to a new, freshly-formatted CF?  I can reconfigure in a few minutes, so no worries with that.

Thanks!

Gregg

Distinguished Expert
spuluka

Check out the note near the bottom of this thread by miliscent.

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Routing/1G-Compact-Flash-Upgrade-source-for-j-series-routers/m-p/89360#...

miliscent wrote:

We just did this with our j4350's.

We spent $20/ea 2GB Sandisk (SDCFH-002G-A11) Ultra II from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280619055008&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1392wt_1...

Then got a cheap usb card reader to read compact flash cards from Walmart for another $15.  We put the new 2GB cards in and hooked them to the usb 0 port in the front then made a system snapshot onto them:

request system snapshot media usb partition as-primary

Finally we swapped the internal cards for the new 2GB ones.  Easy peasy.

Steve Puluka BSEET
Juniper Ambassador
Senior Network Engineer - UPMC Pittsburgh, PA
JNCIA-ER JNCIA-EX JNCIS-SEC JNCIP-SEC
JNCIS-FWV JNCIS-SSL
MCP - Managing Server 2003 MCP - Windows XP Professional
MCTS Windows 7
http://puluka.com/home
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.