Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
Expand all | Collapse all

M10i Router with 10G PIC

• 1.  M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 06-29-2011 23:37

Hi,

I would like to have confirmation of following question. I hope someone could assist me further. I want to connect with my provider with bandwidth capacity 6Gbps so....

1. can m10i router support 10G card. 

2. Any other alternative to fullfill the 6Gbps requirement.

I really need to know if my m10i router capable to support above requirement.

Thanks in advanced.

chenoi

• 2.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC
    Best Answer

Posted 06-29-2011 23:56

Hello,

Unfortunately M10i does not support 10G PICs, the only available option for you is to use Link Aggregation, which is well supported.

On other side you can have 6 GE links to your provider ie having 6 EBGP sessions and balance between them using BGP attributes, or configure BGP multipath, or multihop... a lot of posibilities.

• 3.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 06-30-2011 02:02

Unfortunately M10i does not support 10G PICs, the only available option for you is to use Link Aggregation, which is well supported.

On other side you can have 6 GE links to your provider ie having 6 EBGP sessions and balance between them using BGP attributes, it's quite difficult but achievable.

Hi,
    To have 6x1Gbps to my provider mean i will have 6 dedicated ebgp link to my provider right....and this also could get me 6Gbps capacity...is there any limitation or weakness of doing thing like this....currently my m10i is installed with 2x4fe, 2x4e1 and 1x4Ge.
    Please advise further sir. Thank you.

• 4.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 06-30-2011 02:48

M10i supports maximum of 4Gbit/s full duplex per FPC, it has 2 FPCs ie 8 Gbit/s per system.

If you need 6Gbit/s full duplex capacity than you'll have to take care in order to have 3x1G on one FPC and other 3x1G on other FPC.

Have a look at the following link to check what 1G PICs are available:

http://juniper-federal.com/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/information-products/topic-collections/hardware/m-series/m10i/pics/m10i-pic.pdf

• 5.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 06-30-2011 06:09

http://juniper-federal.com/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/information-products/topic-colle...

M10i supports maximum of 4Gbit/s full duplex per FPC, it has 2 FPCs ie 8 Gbit/s per system.

If you need 6Gbit/s full duplex capacity than you'll have to take care in order to have 3x1G on one FPC and other 3x1G on other FPC.

Have a look at the following link to check what 1G PICs are available:

Hi dpapana,

based on the info and recommendatn above It seems the best solution for now is using link aggtn. bundle 6 x 1Gb interface to one aex virtual intrface. I never try this before. is there any limitation or drawback impact by using link agtn.

• 6.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 06-30-2011 06:24

For your specific case there should be no drowbacks.

I just don't understand what's the point in having 6Gig connection to the ISP if 2 Gig of routing capacity remains for internal interfaces? What I'm trying to tell you is that you'll never achieve 6Gig between you and your ISP because you don't have at least 6 Gig in you internal network...

• 7.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 06-30-2011 19:56

this is how the utilization of 6Gbps shall be on my m10i... all 8 slot will be utilized...what do you think sir.

1. towards customer will be 2x 2.5G pic

2. towards upstream will be 6x1G pic

cust1-------2.5G----------|         |-----------

M10i            (LA)6x1Gbps=6Gbps-------Upstream

cust2-------2.5G----------|         |-----------

• 8.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 06-30-2011 23:13

If you'll offer internet service, then the downlink will be much higher then the uplink and in this case it's ok.

But you have to keep in mind the total capacity of the system.

Please mark as accepted sollution if it works

• 9.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 07-01-2011 00:09

based on the req it will be 5G downstream and 6G upstream... logically it will work..i hope so...but the drawback here... the router slot will be fully utilized just to cater the requirement.

If got new req, have to upgrade my m10i maybe m120.

have you done this before.

thank you

• 10.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 07-01-2011 00:26

If you need SDH interfaces than it makes sense, but if you mainly use GigE and 10GE then better get an MX series, it's more scalable and flexible.

• 11.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 07-01-2011 02:32

Hi dpapana,

does mx series have the same features like m series... mx is more on ethernet services and swicthing capabilities and cannot use sdh/sonet interface. at the moment most of my req is ethernet.

if mx have the same features of m series (routing/bgp/qos/etc)..then i think mx would be the main option.

Thank you sir.

• 12.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 07-01-2011 03:22

Feature wise the MX is the best in the industry, it's much more flexible than M series and offer also very interesting L2 features. MX also supports non Ethernet interfaces:

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000378-en.pdf

For example we've chosen MX as sole platform...

• 13.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 07-01-2011 15:49

Hi Dpapana,

Thanks for kind assistance and support. Now i know what shall i do next. at least i have some option discuss.

Thanks to everybody who also help me on this....

Thank you.

• 14.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 06-30-2011 00:20

Hello,

Is that 6Gbps full-duplex or 6Gbps half-duplex?

M7i can support only 8.4Gbps half-duplex with legacy CFEB and 10Gbps half-duplex with CFEB-E.

And no 10GE support for M7i, sorry.

HTH

Rgds

Alex

• 15.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 06-30-2011 02:05

Is that 6Gbps full-duplex or 6Gbps half-duplex?

M7i can support only 8.4Gbps half-duplex with legacy CFEB and 10Gbps half-duplex with CFEB-E.

And no 10GE support for M7i, sorry.

Hi,

may i know the different please. this is m10i unit and as far i know it support 12.8Gbps. Thank you sir.

• 16.  RE: M10i Router with 10G PIC

Posted 06-30-2011 04:18

Of course You have M10i

My bad Smiley Sad

Here are the numbers for M10i:

12.8Gbps half-duplex with legacy CFEB, 3.2Gbps per FPC

16Gbps half-duplex with CFEB-E, 4Gbps per FPC

Still no 10GE support, sorry

Rgds

Alex