Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  MC-LAG active/standby with martini PW's

Posted 10-26-2016 08:34
      |   view attached

Hi,
    I have been looking for a service provider best practice on how to implement MC-LAG active/stanby mode towards a customer's central site in combination with martini tunnels from remote sites terminating at the LAG. The first thing that comes to mind is to use pseudowire redundancy from the remote sites. But I'm afraid of traffic being blackholed if the primary PW goes down for some reason (for a reason other than that a ccc interface on either side goes down), the active MC-LAG wouldn't be aware of that happening and would still send traffic from the customer towards my box on the active MC-LAG port. Maybe MC-LAG is not a good choice at all in this case?

If there is a post about this already please let me know (I have found any really good one on this). Or if anyone have this implemented I would be grateful for any experience shared.

All PE's are MX with 12.3R8.7 8 (could be upgraded if needed).

• 2.  RE: MC-LAG active/standby with martini PW's
    Best Answer

Posted 10-26-2016 14:24

From you diagram it looks like you are connected and MC Lag to two separate CE devices so I see two possiblilities and both present issues you note.

If the two devices are separate you are connection a LAG to non-LAG ports on two devices.

If the two devices also have MC-LAG you will have issues with the two MC setups communicating which is the Active link to each other.

In the typical design we connection MC-LAG on one side to single chassis AE bundle on each other device.  4 ports on each side then for the redundancy.

See the typical examples in the MX Series chapter overview of MC LAG here.

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/juniper-mx-series/9781449358143/ch08s03.html

• 3.  RE: MC-LAG active/standby with martini PW's

Posted 10-27-2016 00:25

Hi Steve, thanks a lot for your response. I have read the chapter you provided. Although it doesn't contain any setup with l2circuits I'm getting more and more convinced the solution in my diagram is not a good one. Seems that is what you are saying as well. I will need to look for other possibilities for redundancy in case.

Again, thanks for your time. really appreciated!