Routing

last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  [MX][MPLS] How to bind a bridge-domain on a MPLS VRF instance

Posted 07-01-2013 03:06

Hello there,

The goal is to have a broadcast domain available (tagged or not) on several interfaces of the MX (MX80 in here). This domain (the several interfaces then) should be bind to a L3VPN (VRF instance I assume).

Is it possible ?

If Yes how? because it seems I can't add a bridge-domain in a vrf routing-instance type. I also found some virtual-switch implementation but only for VPLS whereas i'm looking for a l3vpn in my case.

If you know a documentation where the solution is, please link me, didn't find it so far :).

Thank you in advance for your help.

• 2.  RE: [MX][MPLS] How to bind a bridge-domain on a MPLS VRF instance

Posted 07-01-2013 03:12
    You can get an irb interface doing the job

• 3.  RE: [MX][MPLS] How to bind a bridge-domain on a MPLS VRF instance

Posted 07-01-2013 03:27

I only used irb interfaces on bridge domain then i don't see how to implement it. Could you be more specific ?

• 4.  RE: [MX][MPLS] How to bind a bridge-domain on a MPLS VRF instance
    Best Answer

Posted 07-01-2013 03:42

Hello there,

The sequence of operation is as follows:

1/ confiure VRF(s)

2/ configure bridge-domain(s)/BD

3/ configure physical fe-|ge-|xe-|ae- interface with "encapsulation <extended-vlan-bridge|ethernet-bridge|flexible-ethernet-services>" 

4/ if using "flexible-ethernet-services", configure logical fe-|ge-|xe-|ae- interface unit(s) with "encapsulation vlan-bridge" , vlan-id and "family bridge"

5/ if using "encapsulation ethernet-bridge" configure logical fe-|ge-|xe-|ae- interface unit 0 with "family bridge"

6/ else configure logical fe-|ge-|xe-|ae- interface unit(s) with vlan-id and "family bridge"

7/ add logical fe-|ge-|xe-|ae- interface unit(s) already configured with "family bridge" in step 4-6 into BD(s)

8/ add IRB unit(s) into BD(s) using "set bridge-domain <BDname> routing-interface irb.<unit>" knob

9/ add "family inet address <IPv4 address/masklen>" to IRB interface unit(s) 

10/ add IRB unit(s) into chosen VRF(s)

HTH

Thanks
    Alex

• 5.  RE: [MX][MPLS] How to bind a bridge-domain on a MPLS VRF instance

Posted 07-01-2013 09:12

Seems OK thanks!

I've tried to add the bridge domain instead of the irb in the VRF. That was my mistake as I thought the IRB only in the VRF was wrong.

Many thanks for this detailed solution 🙂

BR

Brice