Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  MX Vs M

Posted 01-11-2011 12:52

Hi Guys,

What is the big difference between an MX80 and an M7i.  The lines seem to get blurred as they seem to do the exact same thing.  The exception being that the MX can do more Switch functions.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: MX Vs M

Posted 01-11-2011 13:46

Hello,

You are correct wrt Switching functions.

MX80 does not have a Service Module yet. So no NAT, no SFW, no IDS, no Netflow v9, no IPSec etc on MX80 for time being. Also no MX80 support for NG-MVPN for time being but it's coming.

If you are insterested in "pay as you grow", you can buy cheap MX80 with restricted 10GE ports - these are designated as "MX5", "MX20" and "MX40". Ports are restricted/unrestricted by licence purchased.

I am sure others can add more.

HTH

Regards
    Alex

• 3.  RE: MX Vs M

Posted 01-11-2011 15:33

Thanks for a great reply.

would I be safe to say that an M7i can do everything an MX80 can do with the exception of having the switching functions?

• 4.  RE: MX Vs M

Posted 01-12-2011 01:32

In a general sense yes.I'd suggest you go with fine-comb thru docs feature-wise and make your own conclusions.

Scalability (number of routes, ARP entries, labels, LSPs, etc) is also different for M7i and MX80 - I'd suggest you ask your nearest Juniper rep for exact numbers.

HTH

Alex

P.S. forgot to mention in my previous post - there is no 10GE PIC for M7i at all.

• 5.  RE: MX Vs M
    Best Answer

Posted 01-13-2011 16:47

The M and the MX are very different.

The M is geared more towards TDM - in terms of PICs available and overall performance.

The MX is geared more towards 10Gb Ethernet - in terms MICs available and overall performance.

The major difference is that the MX  uses the latest Trio chipset which is driving the unbelievable performance.

The MX-80 applications are geared more towards 1) metro ethernet aggregation 2) carrier ethernet aggregation 3) provider edge and 4) mobile backfaul.

There is a services slot in the rear of the MX-80 - but it's going to be a future release.

The MX family also supports full L2 protocols and IRB.

• 6.  RE: MX Vs M

Posted 05-28-2012 23:52

Thanks for the tip!!!