Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Multipath knob in IBGP peering will ignore IGP cost of protocol next hop???

Posted 04-12-2011 01:45

Hi

I have scenario like this. R1 is connected to R2 and R3 through IBGP peering. R2 and R3 are giving the same routes to R1. I want to load balance these routes on R1 to both R2 and R3. The IGP cost of R2 and R3 are un equal on R1.

I just want to know, on R1 if I put the multipath knob under IBGP peering group for R2 and R3 then multipath will ignore the IGP cost of R2 and R3 protocol next-hop?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Multipath knob in IBGP peering will ignore IGP cost of protocol next hop???

Posted 04-12-2011 05:57

As I know BGP Multipath feature is applicable only on EBGP sessions therefore it won't work in your case.

Have you thought about Multi-Topology routing?

Using MT routing you can create a separate topology in IS-IS or OSPF and tune the link costs in order to achieve equall cost to iBGP peers.

• 3.  RE: Multipath knob in IBGP peering will ignore IGP cost of protocol next hop???

Posted 04-12-2011 11:50

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Could you please give me some link how to configure this multitopology routing OR is there any other thing I can look in to for this scenario?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Multipath knob in IBGP peering will ignore IGP cost of protocol next hop???

Posted 04-12-2011 12:10

By the way in L3VPN VRF configuration on M/MX routers, there is the knob to ignore IGP cost with multipath for VPN rotues. This is "set routing-options multipath vpn-unequal-cost" But I am looking for the global table for IBGP routes how to ignore the IGP cost for protocol nexthop and use multipath to ignore the router-id/peer id and do the load balancing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• 5.  RE: Multipath knob in IBGP peering will ignore IGP cost of protocol next hop???
    Best Answer

Posted 04-13-2011 00:14

There's a very elegant way to solve this problem using IGP Shortcuts, it's very flexible and easy although you'll have to create RSVP LSPs between iBGP peers:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/swconfig-mpls-apps/igp-shortcuts.html#id-48866

After configuration of RSVP LSP and IGP shortcut option, you'll have to tune the RSVP LSP metric:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/swconfig-mpls-apps/configuringa-static-lsp-metric.html

This way you'll achieve equal cost path to iBGP peers that won't affect in any way non BGP traffic.

• 6.  RE: Multipath knob in IBGP peering will ignore IGP cost of protocol next hop???

Posted 04-20-2011 22:44

Thanks