Routing
Contributor
Tizius
Accepted Solution

Multiple OSPF processes

Hi,

I'm pretty new with Juniper routers, but have been working for a long time with Cisco routers. I kindly ask to all forum partecipants how I can, as in Cisco routers, activate two (or more) different OSPF processes on the router. In Cisco routers there the concept of process-ID which I couldn't find in Juniper routers.

I tried using different routing instances on my J-series routers following some ideas in the JUNOS Routing Configuration Guide but I didn't obtain the expected results. I don't whether it can depend on JUNOS release which is a little bit old (7.1). 

Can anybody give me an idea ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Tiziano

Trusted Contributor
gdavies

Re: Multiple OSPF processes

Hi Tiziano,

routing-instances are definitely the way to go.  You can create a routing-instance for each of the OSPF "processes" you want.  Each of those routing-instances will have associated interfaces.  You can then configure OSPF within the routing-instance and associate the interfaces with the OSPF area.  Then you should be able to see the neighbours with...

show ospf neighbor instance $your-instance-name$

...and the routing table for your instance with... 

show route table $your-instance-name$.inet.0

You may want to exchange routing information with the main routing-instance by using rib-groups.  You can do the following...

routing-options {

rib-groups {

my-rib {

import-ribs [ my-instance.inet.0 inet.0 ];

}

}

}

routing-instances {

my-instance {

interface so-0/0/0.0;

interface ge-1/0/0.0; 

rib-group my-rib;

protocols {

ospf {

area 0.0.0.0 {

interface so-0/0/0.0;

interface ge-1/0/0.0;

}

}

}

}

}

I hope that gives you some pointers. 

Rgds,

Guy 

---
Guy Davies
Contributor
Tizius

Hi Guy,

thanks a lot for your answer. As a matter of fact, as I wrote in my post, I tried the way you suggested but probably I made some configuration error or my JUNOS release (7.1) was too old. I will try again on some router with latest release. 

I have just one more question. Reading the example on JUNOS Routing Configuration Guide, I noted that there was no reference to the "instance-type". Also, in your suggestion there no mention on that. Is there a default "instance-type" ? 

Thanks a lot for your kind cooperation.

Tiziano

Trusted Contributor
gdavies

Hi Tiziano,

You're certainly right that 7.1 is pretty old code.  I'd recommend going with the newest code that will fit/run on your hardware.  The requirements for the flash drive size went up to 1GB with 9.1 so that rules out a lot of older boxes.  However, I managed to run 9.0 on 256MB on a J2320.

Yes, there is a default instance-type (no-forwarding).  This is actually the type you need for the behaviour you're looking for.  It simply creates a separate RIB but you have to leak the info (using rib-groups) into inet.0 in order to forward based on the info.  You are still able to maintain separate distribution of the info in the routing-instance (as long as you don't leak info back from inet.0 ;-) by maintaining separate neighbours on the interfaces associated with your routing-instance.

Rgds,

Guy 

---
Guy Davies
Contributor
Tizius

Hi Guy,

I thank you very much for your prompt, clear and exhaustive answers and suggestions.

I have a couple of new J-series routers equipped with release 9.0. I wil try on them and let you know.

Regards,

Tiziano 

Contributor
Tizius

Hi Guy,

I tried your solution and now everything seems to work as I expected. On a router (say, Router-A) I created a routing instance and an OSPF adjacency with another router (say, Router-B). Also, on Router-B I created a normal OSPF adjacency with another router (Router-C). On Router-B I passed routes from routing table "instance-name.inet.0" to table inet.0. To let this routes distributed via OSPF to Router-C (to emulate what Cisco routers do) I used a simple routing policy:

[edit policy-options policy-statement RED-OSPF]

from protocol ospf;

then accept;

and everything worked fine. Router-B generated e few Type 5 LSA to distribute routes, which where received by Router-C.

Do you know any better way to do it ?

Thanks a lot for your kind cooperation.

Regards.

Tiziano

Trusted Contributor
gdavies

Hi Tiziano,

Do you need to actually redistribute manually between the routing-instances?  If you set the rib-groups with the import-ribs [ instance-name.inet.0 inet.0 ] on Router B, then you should see the prefixes from instance-name.inet.0 on Router B also in inet.0.

Rgds,

Guy 

---
Guy Davies
Contributor
Tizius

Hi Guy,

as a matter of fact I see Router-A prefixes also on inet.0, thanks to the import from "instance-name.inet.0" to inet.0. To let the explanation simpler, here is my configuration:

[edit routing-options]
tt@ROUTER-B# show
rib-groups {
    AAA {
        import-rib [ OSPF-CE.inet.0 inet.0 ];
    }
}
router-id 192.168.0.111;

[edit routing-instances]
tt@ROUTER-B# show
OSPF-CE {
    interface fe-0/0/1.11;
    protocols {
        ospf {
            rib-group AAA;
            area 0.0.0.111 {
                interface fe-0/0/1.11;  #adjacency to ROUTER-A#
            }
        }
    }
}

[edit protocols ospf]
tt@ROUTER-B# show
area 0.0.0.11 {
    interface fe-0/0/0.0; #adjacency to ROUTER-C#
    interface lo0.0 {
        passive;
    }
}

With this configuration I see prefixes coming from ROUTER-A to both the inet.0 and OSPF-CE.inet.0 routing tables, but I do not see them on routing table inet.0 of ROUTER-C. As a matter of fact I could not see any Type 5 LSA on OSPF database of ROUTER-B.

Adding the following configuration:

[edit policy-options policy-statement RED-OSPF]
tt@ROUTER-B# show
from protocol ospf;
then accept;

[edit protocols ospf]
tt@ROUTER-B# show
export RED-OSPF;

the prefixes from ROUTER-A were announced to ROUTER-C via Type 5 LSA.

Therefore I think that some kind of redistribution is needed. What do you think about ? Is there something I am missing ?

Again thanks for your kindness.

Regards,

Tiziano

Trusted Contributor
gdavies

Hi Tiziano,

Try doing the following...

set routing-options interface-routes rib-group inet AAA

set routing-instances OSPF-CE routing-options interface-routes rib-group inet AAA

That will put the interface prefixes for both of the routing-instances into the RIBs in rib-group AAA.

Rgds,

Guy 

---
Guy Davies
Contributor
Tizius

Guy,

I tried but it did not work !!!

Bye,

Tiziano

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.