Routing
Contributor
ralwarrag

No-client-reflect

HI Experts

in which case I will need to configure " no-client-reflect " ,,  As far as I know it's used if the clients are in full mesh and your using it so u will not reflect the same route to it , but if I have full mesh client  at the first place why I am using route reflector and if the RR configured with this knob then what is the use of it ( RR )

BR ,,,
Recognized Expert
mhariry

Re: No-client-reflect

Hi,

If u r using full-mesh so no need to use RR. I will give u one scenario to use no-client-reflect when u have more than one client in the group and u don't want to reflect routes to specific neighbor from RR side, you could use this command at neighbor level

Regards,

Mohamed Elhariry

JNCIE-M/T # 1059, CCNP & CCIP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".Kudos are always appreciated!

Regards,
Mohamed Elhariry
2* JNCIE (SEC # 159, SP # 1059),JNCIP-ENT

[Click the "Star" for Kudos if you think I earned it!
If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]
Contributor
ralwarrag

HI  Elhariry

Thanks for your reply , this is what I understand but in the Description in the below link it say we use it in case if we have full mesh and RR to prevent sending redundant copy of the updates 

link

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/no-client-refle...

BR ,,,
Recognized Expert
mhariry

Yes that's right (Include this statement when the client cluster is fully meshed) when the client is fully meshed so no need to send route advertisement from RR 

BR

Mohamed Elhariry

Regards,
Mohamed Elhariry
2* JNCIE (SEC # 159, SP # 1059),JNCIP-ENT

[Click the "Star" for Kudos if you think I earned it!
If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]
Contributor
ralwarrag

Your totally right , that is make me confuse what is the need if already there is RR to configure full mesh and then configure this knob 

BR ,,,
Juniper Employee
Juniper Employee
pad

Good point. This knob would be useful when you are migrating from conventional full mesh BGP peering to RR peering.

Regular Visitor
jasonlai

Recently i used no-client-reflect for my migration project.

The scenarios is as follows:

1. I have existing network A with 2 RR & 21 RR-Clients routers where most of my customer connected to RR-Client.

2.  I need to migrate all the customers from network A to network B.

3. Network B router running on full-mesh & in order to get the routes from network A i would need a peering session with RR in network A.

4. i configured no-client-reflector on RR to prevent the routing loop &  sending of redundant route advertisements.

Contributor
ranjeetba

Can you please illustrate an example / scenario where we use this command ? Any practical example? Why on earth would some body have both the fully meshed routers in a cluster and a network with  Route reflector operational concurrently? If at all there is migration from fully meshed network to  a network with RR, what is the strategy of using this command   No-client-reflect?

And by the way this is also a JNCIP question. I came across this command while studying JNCIP.

Visitor
Mmohamed

Actually you might use this knob in case if you need to reflect between BGP peers reside in different groups without reflecting within the group itself, for example your router has four IBGP sessions in two  different groups (2 sessions peer group), two sessions with two IGW routers in group1 and remaining two with internal PE in group2 and you need to reflect internet routes received from IGW routers to the PEs without reflecting routes between the IGW routers in group1.

This is not doable with the default configuration due to the IBGP loop prevention mechanism, and in order to circumvent this you have to configure one of the groups (group1) with the cluster knob to act as RR, however you still need to use the no-client-reflect knob to disable reflection between the IGW routers.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.