Routing

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Options other than BFD

Posted 11-10-2011 05:52

Hi,

I would like to know if there are other options to using BFD since i am experiencing problems setting it up. I suspect its a license issue but until its sorted i need another way of doing the same but without BFD

• 2.  RE: Options other than BFD

Posted 11-13-2011 01:25

Hi

What platform are you using? What software version? To my knowledge, BFD is not licensed separately in Junos, can you give us more details on the problem? What recovery times do you need for your network? Sub-second? 

• 3.  RE: Options other than BFD

Posted 11-13-2011 21:26

Based on your response I am suspecting that its a political matter. The problem is that I am working on the Ex4200 running software version 10.4R1.9 and another party is working on an M120 and we are trying to setup BFD on a static route that is acting as a primary route with another OSPF route acting as backup. The primary route connects directly to the main router through an ISP layer 2 trunk, while the second path passes through an MPBN network to the main router. The MPBN is congested so as a temporary solution (as we await the MPBN upgrade to increase its bandwidth) we pass traffic to the ISP, but the ISP isn't as reliable, so if the ISP fails we need to pass traffic to MPBN which currently has a cap for the new traffic we are setting up, so we don't affect the old traffic. Its a telecoms implementation project and the other party has their own issues regarding it though the plan had been previously agreed. I am suspecting they are placing a firewall on their side but I need other alternatives for the implementation to have a backup failover to the OSPF route (MPBN network).

I am not sure that running a new routing process between the main router and EX4200 will be accepted so I need solutions to work with static routes.

• 4.  RE: Options other than BFD

Posted 11-13-2011 23:42

Hi

Its hard for me to make a particular recomendation, but one thing is that you should not run R1

software in production for a long time. 10.4R7 is already available.

• 5.  RE: Options other than BFD

Posted 11-15-2011 04:33

so what suggestions do you have so far? Anything will be appreciated

• 6.  RE: Options other than BFD
    Best Answer

Posted 11-17-2011 10:24

Hello,

Since you mentioned M120 and EX, I assume all links are Ethernet.

If that's the case, you can configure every link as 1-member LAG and set active LACP on each LAG. Assuming a few dozen links, you should not run into LAG interfaces limit.

You will get:

1/ L2 connectivity checks (assuming direct connection or switched connection without LACP in between) 

2/ minimum 1 sec timer

3/ protocol compatibility 

You won't get:

1/ subsecond timers

2/ tunable timers - it's either 1 or 30 seconds

3/ L3 connectivity checks

HTH

Rgds

Alex 

• 7.  RE: Options other than BFD

Posted 11-21-2011 23:16

Thank you, i like you solution, will do that

• 8.  RE: Options other than BFD

Posted 11-21-2011 23:34

There is a JTAC technical bulletin against installing 10.1R7 software for the EX4200 switch