Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Originating subnet of directly connected route into BGP

Posted 10-16-2012 09:24

What is the best way to originate a subnet of a directly connected route into BGP?  For instance, if you have an interface with 10.0.0.1/16, and you want to advertise the 10.0.0.0/24 network into BGP?

• 2.  RE: Originating subnet of directly connected route into BGP

• 3.  RE: Originating subnet of directly connected route into BGP

Posted 10-16-2012 15:21

I could suggest you to use route to null like the following and redistribute this route to BGP

# set routing-options static route 10.0.0.0/24 discard

you will face problem in that case consider this block is lost so for any traffic target this range will go to null as it is more preferred so I guess you couldn't do that setup

Regards,

Mohamed Lardier

• 4.  RE: Originating subnet of directly connected route into BGP
    Best Answer

Posted 10-17-2012 07:49

Thanks for the suggestions, I have figured out a method.  You are on the right track Mohamed, I place a static route to discard in the routing table, however I use the 'no-install' keyword on it so that the route is not installed in the forwarding table and won't break any connectivity.

So with the 'no-intsall' the more specific route is in the routing table, so I can export it to BGP, but it isn't in the forwarding table so none of my connectivity is broken by it.