Routing

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Policed discards & L3 incompletes: ?

Posted 04-15-2009 14:26

I found this link online but i still not sure if this is big issue or not?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nsp/juniper/4868

• 2.  RE: Policed discards & L3 incompletes: ?

Posted 04-16-2009 07:26

Hello,

We have Juniper routers connected to Foundry switch network. Juniper interface reports L3 incompletes but that doesn't increases constantly. It increases randomly. Does anyone else here observed this issue?  

#incomplete
    #L3

• 3.  RE: Policed discards & L3 incompletes: ?

Posted 04-16-2009 07:54
    From JTAC

Policed Discards

Frames that the incoming packet match code discarded because they were not recognized or of interest. Usually, this field reports protocols that the JUNOS software does not handle, such as CDP.

L3 incompletes
    This counter is incremented when the incoming packet fails Layer 3 (usually IPv4) sanity checks of the header. For example, a frame with less than 20 bytes of available IP header would be discarded and this counter would be incremented.

L2 channel errors
    This counter increments when the software could not find a valid logical interface (that is, something like t3-1/2/3.0) for an incoming frame.

o    L2 mismatch timeouts
    Count of malformed or short packets that cause the incoming packet handler to discard the frame as unreadable.

L3 incompletes are usually not a concern unless you have counters that are showing them in the billions or even trillions.  If you have LDP configured on the other side, this could very well cause an L3 incomplete to be logged.  LDP sends hello messages every few seconds and because the interface isn’t configured for LDP, the hello message received would not pass the sanity check.

Note that disabling LDP on the remote end interface did not resolve the issue.

• 4.  RE: Policed discards & L3 incompletes: ?

Posted 11-11-2010 11:19

I am having an issue with policed discards.  They are showing up on all 12 interfaces on an M10i. They even show up on interfaces that are disabled. I understand that policed discards are just packets that may be a protocol that Juniper doesn't recognize, but how do I see those packets?  How can I see where they are coming from? 

• 5.  RE: Policed discards & L3 incompletes: ?

Posted 11-11-2010 13:04

I supsect this is a 12x FE PIC.  The reason the counters increment for all interfaces, is because they all share the same input stream on the I/O manager ASIC, where the drops happen.  It is most often the result of a protocol that the microcode does not recoginize.  Like others have said, these are likely harmless.  There is no easy way to determine on which port(s) those frames arrived, as they are dropped before route lookup.

@MitchIT wrote:

I am having an issue with policed discards.  They are showing up on all 12 interfaces on an M10i. They even show up on interfaces that are disabled. I understand that policed discards are just packets that may be a protocol that Juniper doesn't recognize, but how do I see those packets?  How can I see where they are coming from?