Routing

last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Prevent bgp session from flap

Posted 11-04-2015 22:44

Hello. I have a problem with sfp module in one of my interfaces. Sometimes it's flap for one second. I can't change sfp right now, so I want temporarly to prevent my bgp session from flap when my link is flapping. Is there some timer in juniper to prevent this? In cisco it seems to be "ip bgp fast-external-fallover deny". But I can't find the same in Junos.

• 2.  RE: Prevent bgp session from flap
    Best Answer

Posted 11-05-2015 01:40

Hello,

I can think of several ways to do that:

1/ "hold-time down 2000" on interface will mask 1-sec flaps

2/ assuming You have another physical interface which is used towards the same peer, use loopback peering (iBGP or eBGP multihop)

3/ use VPLS instance and IRB interface for peering. Make this physical interface as L2 interface and insert it into VPLS instance - this works only on MX. On SRX, You can use vlan.X interface but then You have to have another physical interface in same VLAN to keep vlan.X up

4/ I have several other esoteric options but don't want to go into details - the above should be sufficient for any sane network 🙂

HTH

Thanks

Alex

• 3.  RE: Prevent bgp session from flap

Posted 11-05-2015 02:06

Thanks a lot. It seems the first option is the best for me now. I will try it)