Routing
Contributor
kruger

Private IP address question

[ Edited ]

Hello, I have a 4 (but may add more) servers that have a production nic and connected to a production vlan. These 4 servers also need to talk to each other but not on the production nic.

We created a vlan spesefic for this communication and assign the servers a private IP block. 

My question is if the private IP block is only used between these 4 servers on a vlan dedicated only for use for these 4 servers. With no router involved. Can i use the network IP and the broadcast IP when assigning the ips to the servers?

so a 10.131.112.144/29

can i use all the IPs for servers?

10.131.112.144 -151

or do i still need to leave the 144 and the 151 unassigned.

Thanks.

Message Edited by kruger on 07-01-2009 06:23 AM
Distinguished Expert
Screenie

Re: Private IP address question

Leave the net and broadcast alone! nothing but trouble when you start using them!
best regards,

Screenie.
Juniper Ambassador,
JNCIA IDP AC WX JNCIS FW SSL JNCIP SEC ENT SP JNCI

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Distinguished Expert
rkim

I would think that if your servers were able to treat the network and broadcast addresses within a subnet as hosts, then they would not be in compliance and would have a faulty TCP/IP stack. I would definitely not attempt to do use that. If you need more addresses then you would be better off giving a large netmask.

-Richard

Visitor
MikeS

Hey Amigo,

I am not even sure that you will be able to assign the network and broadcast addresses from an IP range as valid IP addresses on any OS.

Simply put, both the network and broadcast addresses are unusable IP's. They are reserved and cannot be used as valid addresses. The previous suggestions of expanding your subnet to include more addresses is the right solution.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mike

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.