Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Question about ACX series routers

Posted 03-02-2015 19:34

Hi Everyone,

I was looking for some insight to see if the following setup was possible with an ACX series router

<internet> <---> <xDSL modem in bridge mode> <---> <ACX router with PPPoE client> <---> <NATed internal network>

From my understanding, this type of set up works with the SRX series devices. Either through their native xDSL port for the phone line (SRX110 I believe), or through setting the modem in bridge mode and connecting it an ethernet port with a pppoe client.

Is such a set up possible on a ACX series router? I've checked the JunOS documentation on the ACX, but it's not very clear if the same configuration that allows a M series router to be PPPoE client applies to the ACX.

Thanks for any feedback anyone can provide.

As a side note, is there any SRX or router device that is fanless but also has multiple gigabit ethernet ports? I've looked around the site, but haven't been able to find anything.

• 2.  RE: Question about ACX series routers
    Best Answer

Posted 03-06-2015 16:32

The ACX is designed as an MPLS edge device not a customer firewall.  So there is no DSL support.

On the SRX series you can do pppoe and the 110 would have an option for the DSL port built in.  There is also a card that can insert into the 210 or 220 as an option as well.

The 110 has only fast ethernet ports.  the 210 has two gig ports and the 220 8 gig ports.

Comparison chart

http://www.juniper.net/assets/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000265-en.pdf

• 3.  RE: Question about ACX series routers

Posted 03-10-2015 05:14

Thanks Steve.

As sort of an offtopic question to finish off what you stated. Do you know if there are any plans for a fanless SRX with GigE ports? I'm sort of curious / wondering why Juniper doesn't have such a product when it should be possible to design one (eg: Checkpoint / Fortinet are two I can think of that have fanless designs for their SMB / SOHO lines of UTMs - Which is what a SRX appears to be).

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Question about ACX series routers

Posted 03-10-2015 12:15

The SRX 110, 210 adn 220 are all fanless.

So the SRX 210 and 220 are fanless with gig ports.

• 5.  RE: Question about ACX series routers

Posted 03-15-2015 17:30

Thanks for the clarification Steve. I have never actually seen the SRX210 and SRX220 so I didn't know they were fanless. I was just looking at the documentation here:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/information-products/pathway-pages/hardware/SRX220/srx220-2g-index.pdf

(page 21 / start of chapter 4)

which led me to my conclusion.

Time to see if I can find a used SRX220 anywhere. 😎

- Keith Lee

• 6.  RE: Question about ACX series routers

Posted 03-16-2015 02:59

Sorry, I was mistaken.  I pulled down the SRX210 and 220 lab devices here and they do have a fan.  It was so silent I assumed it was the same passive design as the SRX100 series but there is a small fan on the rear panel.  They are sold as desktop branch devices and are quiet enough for an office but they do have a fan.

So you are correct there is no DSL capable SRX that is both Gig port and fanless cooling in the current product line.