Routing
Contributor
BeaverMan

Routers with protocol filtering function

Hi, another question here. Does the J series routers support protocol filtering?

One of our clients has a network that needs to dedicate one of their WAN connections specifically for Dec LAT (DECnet) traffic.

Their network diagram is like this: 2 remote sites, both using a router each and connected using 2 WAN lines. One line will be dedicated to IP-related network traffic, while another WAN link, which will be bridged, shall only pass Dec LAT traffic while filtering out all other types of traffic.

Can the J router do that?

Thanks!

Distinguished Expert
aarseniev

Re: Routers with protocol filtering function

Hello,

None of Juniper routers can route DECnet.

Having said that, you may e able to use J-series box in packet-mode to MPLS-switch Ethernet frames between interface and RSVP LSP or between two interfaces whereas simultaneously route IP on anothet set of interfaces.

By saying "interfaces" I mean logical interfaces, not physical - you should be able to use two separate VLANs on single phy interface: one for DECnet over Ethernet and second for IP.

HTH

Rgds

Alex 

BeaverMan

Hi aarseniev, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't quite get you (sorry, I'm not an expert in this field, still learning).

You said Juniper routers cannot route DECnet traffic but it's possible if the router's physical interface is configured to use VLAN? I'm a little confused.

Distinguished Expert
aarseniev

Hello there,

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

If DECnet LAT is encapsulated in Ethernet-2 header with Ethertype 0x6004 as defined by IANA then Juniper routers are able to switch these frames _without_ looking into Ethernet payload. You can use a regular VLAN or MPLS services (CCC or VPLS) to do this switching.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ethernet-numbers

If you want a router to look into Decnet LAT payload (deeper than/beyond Ethernet header) and act on it then none of Juniper products can do that.

HTH

Rgds

Alex