Routing

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Routing VLAN traffic from EX4200 switch to Cisco router

Posted 10-27-2014 16:51

We have a Cisco router that connects to interface ge-1/0/27 on our EX4200 switch. That interface has an IP address assigned to it (Unit 0 family inet address 192.168.50.1/24). What do I enable in order for our VLAN traffic from the switch, to pass through the Cisco router so the other network can identify our VLANs? I'm not worried about configuration of Cisco router, just Juniper.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Routing VLAN traffic from EX4200 switch to Cisco router

Posted 10-27-2014 18:21

I was thinking you could set "vlan-tagging" on interface ge-1/0/27, but I can't seem to add logical interfaces without setting unit 0 to vlan-id 0, which causes everything to go down when I commit the changes.

I just want everything that goes through that inteface to be tagged, or whatever is done to keep the 802.1q frame intact so that when it arrives on other network, the DHCP server can say "Oh, you're on voice VLAN 100, you get this address instead"

• 3.  RE: Routing VLAN traffic from EX4200 switch to Cisco router

Posted 10-29-2014 05:41

See page 53 and following in this book, Junos for IOS engineers.

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/Day-One-Books/Day-One-Book-Junos-For-IOS-Engineers/ba-p/157636

This outlines how to convert your Cisco vlan setup to the same Junos commands.

Basically you will put the port into ethernet switching trunk mode.  And assign this port to all of the required vlans where you also specify which tag is used for each vlan.

• 4.  RE: Routing VLAN traffic from EX4200 switch to Cisco router

Posted 10-29-2014 18:17
      |   view attached

I really appreciate the response. I read the ePub section that you mentioned. Suprisingly it is the same thing that I keep coming across, so I must be over thinking this whole thing. I attached a copy of a "sanatized" configuration of our switch. Basically what I'm trying to do is this:

PC is connected to back of Shoretel phone. Phone is connected to switch port. We have a DHCP pool specific for phones only, and the way the DHCP server knows to give out the right address, is identified by VLAN. Everything I've read so far, is the way these Shoretel phones work is they boot up on the data VLAN, get their configuration via option 156, reboot and now on the voice VLAN, now when it DHCP's address it gets an IP from the right pool. I explain all that because the port the phone is plugged into is supposed to be a trunk port. Native vlan-id is set so data vlan is untagged. That's why you see it that way in the config.

Interface ge-1/0/27 is the gateway to the Cisco router which is actually behind a fiber switch from our ISP that is in bridge mode (we don't configure it). So how do I allow 802.1q traffic to pass over ge-1/0/27 without losing that IP address? If I change that port to ethernet-switching mode, I can't assign an address to it anymore. In other words, we're using our switch like a router.

Attachment(s)

txt
    config.txt   1 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Routing VLAN traffic from EX4200 switch to Cisco router

Posted 10-31-2014 13:16

Sorry for the delay, got caught up in a few things this week.

In your case you will want those ip addresses assigned to the vlan stanza where you already mark them as layer three interfaces.   You  remove them from the trunk port and leave the trunk as ethernet switching.

The vlan gets the ip address and becomes a RVI (routed vlan interface) inside your switch.

• 6.  RE: Routing VLAN traffic from EX4200 switch to Cisco router

Posted 10-31-2014 16:54

No sweat,

So I would move the IP address off of interface ge-1/0/27 and change the interface to family ethernet-switching with port-mode trunk enabled. Set the vlan members as well...

So the IP address that was on that interface, which is the gateway to our other network, I just enter that in under the vlan stanza? You have to assign a "unit" which looking at our configuration ends up being the actual VLAN. So I'm confused, what VLAN do I assign this IP address to? This is simply the link between the two devices (switch and router). We already have the data, and voice VLAN defined under the vlan stanza, along with some others, so what do I do? I think this is where I'm getting hung up. I just don't get it...

Thanks Steve

• 7.  RE: Routing VLAN traffic from EX4200 switch to Cisco router
    Best Answer

Posted 11-01-2014 03:31

These are the steps for creating the RVI.

You already have step 1 when you convert your trunk port.

You already declared step 3 in the configuration you posted

You just need to add step 2 putting your desired ip address onto the vlan interface

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.4/topics/task/configuration/bridging-routed-vlan-interfaces-ex-series-cli.html

• 8.  RE: Routing VLAN traffic from EX4200 switch to Cisco router

Posted 11-03-2014 10:10

Thank you Steve,

I'll try to configure this setup sometime this week, and see what happens.

• 9.  RE: Routing VLAN traffic from EX4200 switch to Cisco router

Posted 11-14-2014 14:06

Thanks Steve for all the help. I did manage to get this working.

Thanks again for all the prompt replies! I've learned quite a bit the last few months about JunOS...